World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Detroit Air Defense Sector

Article Id: WHEBN0023025561
Reproduction Date:

Title: Detroit Air Defense Sector  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 34th Air Division, Custer Air Force Station, Snow Mountain Air Force Station, Port Austin Air Force Station, 26th Air Division
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Detroit Air Defense Sector

Detroit Air Defense Sector
Emblem of the Detroit Air Defense Sector
Active 1957–1966
Country United States
Branch  United States Air Force
Role Air Defense
Part of Air Defense Command
Map of Detroit ADS

The Detroit Air Defense Sector (DEADS) is an inactive Air Defense Command (ADC) 26th Air Division at Custer Air Force Station (AFS), Michigan. It was inactivated on 1 April 1966.

History

DEADS was originally designated as the 4627th Air Defense Wing, but was redesignated before being organized in January 1957 at Custer AFS, Michigan.[1] It became operational in September 1958, but did not assume control of former ADC radar squadrons.

On 1 September 1959 the new Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) Direction Center (DC-06) and Combat Center (CC-01) became operational. DC-06 was equipped with dual AN/FSQ-7 Computers. The day-to-day operations of the command were to train and maintain tactical units flying jet interceptor aircraft (F-86 Sabre, F-89 Scorpion, F-101 Voodoo, F-102 Delta Dagger, F-104 Starfighter, F-106 Delta Dart) and operating interceptor missiles (CIM-10 Bomarc) and radar squadrons in a state of readiness with training missions and series of exercises with Strategic Air Command and other units simulating interceptions of incoming enemy aircraft.

The Sector was inactivated 1 April 1966 as part of ADC reorganization and consolidation and replaced at Custer AFS by the 34th Air Division.[3] Most of its units were reassigned to 34th or the 29th Air Division.

Lineage

  • Designated as 4627th Air Defense Wing, SAGE
Redesignated as Detroit Air Defense Sector on 8 January 1957 and organized
Discontinued and inactivated on 1 April 1966.

Assignments

  • 30th Air Division, 8 January 1957
  • 26th Air Division, 4 September 1963 – 1 April 1966

Stations

  • Custer AFS, Michigan, 8 January 1957 – 1 April 1966

Components

Wing

Selfridge AFB, Michigan, 1 April 1959 - 1 April 1966

Group

Youngstown Airport, Ohio, 1 April 1959 - 1 March 1960

Interceptor Squadrons

Missile Squadron

Niagara Falls Air Force Missile Site, New York, 4 September 1963 - 1 April 1966

Radar Squadrons

Weapons Systems

  • F-86D, 1959-1960
  • F-86L, 1959-1960
  • F-89J, 1959-1960
  • F-101B, 1960-1966
  • F-102A, 1959-1960
  • F-104A, 1959-1960
  • F-106A, 1960-1966
  • CIM-10 Bomarc, 1963-1966

See also

Notes

  1. ^ See Cornett, Lloyd H; Johnson, Mildred W (1980). A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization, 1946-1980. Peterson AFB, CO: Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center. p. 57. 
  2. ^ Cornett & Johnson, p. 37 (Map)
  3. ^ Abstract, History of 34th Air Div, Apr-Dec 1966 (accessed 7 Feb 2012)
  4. ^ Ravenstein, Charles A (1984). Air Force Combat Wings, Lineage & Honors Histories 1947-1977. Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. p. 6.  
  5. ^ Cornett & Johnson, p. 73
  6. ^ Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) [1969]. Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. p. 227.  
  7. ^ Maurer, p. 299
  8. ^ Cornett & Johnson, P. 120
  9. ^ Maurer, p. 391
  10. ^ Cornett & Johnson, p. 128
  11. ^ Cornett & Johnson, p. 150
  12. ^ a b c Cornett & Johnson, p. 158
  13. ^ a b c Cornett & Johnson, pp. 163-165
  14. ^ a b c Cornett & Johnson, p. 168

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

External images
SAGE facilities
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.