World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Dogo Onsen

Article Id: WHEBN0008749418
Reproduction Date:

Title: Dogo Onsen  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Ehime Prefecture, Arima Onsen
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Dogo Onsen

Dōgo Onsen (道後温泉?) is a hot spring in the city of Matsuyama, Ehime Prefecture on the island of Shikoku, Japan.


Dōgo Onsen is one of the oldest onsen hot springs in Japan, with a history stretching back over 1,000 years. The springs are mentioned in the Man'yōshū (written c. 759), and according to legend Prince Shotoku (574–622) used to partake of the waters.

Dōgo Onsen was the favorite retreat of writer Natsume Sōseki (1867–1916) when he was working near Matsuyama as a teacher in what was at the time rural Shikoku. In Soseki's loosely autobiographical novel Botchan, the eponymous main character is a frequent visitor to the springs, the only place he likes in the area.

Modern haiku poet Masaoka Shiki (1867–1902), a noted critic of Matsuo Bashō (1644–1694), was a resident of Dōgo Onsen. His poems are prominently inscribed in many places around town.


The present building of the Dōgo Onsen public bath was organized by Dogo Yunomachi mayor Isaniwa Yukiya and built in 1894. Built on three levels for maximum capacity, the baths remain popular and are usually crowded at peak times, such as in the early evening before dinner.

While Dōgo is largely engulfed in the suburban sprawl of modern-day Matsuyama, the area around Dōgo retains the feeling of a resort town, with guests from all over the country wandering the streets in yukata robes after their bath. Dōgo is easily accessible from central Matsuyama by tram, and has regular bus services to and from both the air and ferry ports.


Yushinden is a bath room specially reserved for the Imperial Family. Yushinden is on the east side of the main building. The name is taken from a Chinese classic. Yushinden was built in 1899 in the traditional architecture of Momoyama period. The Gyokuza no Ma is a bath room for the exclusive use of the Emperor.[1]

Legends of Dōgo Onsen

In Dogo, two legends were handed down.

Legend of egret

Long ago, many egrets lived in Dogo. One day, an egret who injured his shin found a hot spring there. He soaked his shin every day in the hot water. Eventually the egret became well and flew away. People who watched this situation also soaked in the hot spring and their health improved. The news spread that the hot spring was beneficial for ones health, and the hot spring became popular. [2]

Legend of Tama no ishi

A long time ago, there were two small gods, Okuninushi no Mikoto and Sukunahikona no Mikoto. They came from Izumo to Dogo. Sukunahikona no Mikoto contracted a bad illness and his days were numbered. Ookuninushi no Mikoto made Sukunahikona no Mikoto soak in the hot spring. Sukunahikona no Mikoto regained his health, and danced on a stone in the hot spring as proof of his vigor. At that time, his footprint was left, and there is now a stone called Tama no ishi that is exhibited at Dogo Onsen.[1]

In popular culture

The main building in the movie Spirited Away was modeled on the present building of the Dōgo Onsen public bathhouse.


External links

  • Template:-inline

Coordinates: 33°51′7″N 132°47′11″E / 33.85194°N 132.78639°E / 33.85194; 132.78639

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.