World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Dubove, Ukraine

 

Dubove, Ukraine

Dubove
Дубове
Town

The mountain village of Dubove

Coat of arms

Coordinates: 48°10′23″N 23°53′21″E / 48.1731°N 23.8892°E / 48.1731; 23.8892Coordinates: 48°10′23″N 23°53′21″E / 48.1731°N 23.8892°E / 48.1731; 23.8892

Elevation 545 m (1,788 ft)
Population
 • Total 8,900

Dubove (Ukrainian: Дубове, Russian: Дубовое. Dubove or Dubovoye, Hungarian: Dombó, Romanian: Delureni) is an Urban-type settlement situated in the Carpathian Mountains in the Zakarpattia Oblast of western Ukraine. While officially designated as an urban-type settlement, Dubove's character and composition more closely resembles that of a village. The current estimated population is around 8,900 (as of 2006).

History


The area once known as Subcarpathia, which includes present-day Dubove (originally settled as Dombo), was part of the Kingdom of Hungary from the 10th century until 1919. Located in the county of Máramaros, Dombo gained prominence in 1755 when it became the site of the district's forestry office, which drew skilled lumberjacks and their families from Bohemia. Following the end of World War I in 1919, Subcarpathia, including Dombo, was annexed by the newly created Czechoslovak Republic and was given its current name, Dubove, a derivative of the Slavic word for oak tree (дуб). During World War II, Dubove was occupied by pro-Nazi Hungary. In 1930, 706 (or nearly 16%) of Dubove's 4,416 inhabitants were Jewish.[1] But by the end of World War II, virtually all of the Jews had been exterminated. The Red Army occupied Dubove in 1945 and the village was officially incorporated into the Soviet Union the following year. In 1969, Dubove became home to a major Soviet plant, the Zakarpattia Helicopter Production Enterprise, creating an influx of new settlers and eventually raising the population of the village to over 10,000. By far the largest employer in the area, the factory was responsible for funding several projects in the village, including a stadium and technical school. But after the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, the factory laid off roughly 5,000 workers and Dubove fell on hard times. Although the factory still creates helicopters today, most of its resources are devoted to producing commercial airplane seats, satellite antennas, and children's sleds.[2]


Geography

Dubove is located approximately halfway along the path of the River Teresva. It is regarded as the economic center of the tri-village area, which includes Ganichi and Kalyny.


Nearby villages

  • Krasna - north 5.6km
  • Ust'-Chorna (Királymező in Hungarian and Königsfeld in German) - north 15km
  • Kalyny - south 3km
  • Ganichi - south 6km
  • Neresnytsya - southwest 10.4 km

Nearby towns

  • Tiachiv - southwest 37km
  • Khust - southwest 70km
  • Mukachevo - southwest 120km

Education

Dubove has one technical school, one secondary school, three primary schools, and a music school.

Demographics

The majority of the inhabitants are Ukrainian, with Russian, Hungarian, and Roma minorities.

References

External links

  • Dubove Web Site
  • Photos of Dubove
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.