World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Duncanville Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030440884
Reproduction Date:

Title: Duncanville Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Project Nike, Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-14 Radar, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar, MIT AN/CPS-4 Radar
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Duncanville Air Force Station

Duncanville Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Duncanville AFS is located in Texas
Duncanville AFS
Duncanville AFS
Location of Duncanville AFS, Texas
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1952
In use 1952-1964
Garrison information
Garrison 745th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Emblem of the 745th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron

Duncanville Air Force Station (ADC ID: P-78) is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located on the east side of Duncanville, Texas. It was closed in 1964.

History

Duncanville Air Force Station was one of twenty-eight stations built as part of the second segment of the permanent Air Defense Command network. Prompted by the start of the Korean War, on July 11, 1950, the Secretary of the Air Force asked the Secretary of Defense for approval to expedite construction of the second segment of the permanent network. Receiving the Defense Secretary’s approval on July 21, the Air Force directed the Corps of Engineers to proceed with construction.

Plaque noting the Duncanville Air Force Station, on monument in Duncanville.

Located on the site of the former Naval Air Station, Duncanville, with a mission to provide radar coverage of the Dallas-Fort Worth area, the 745th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron began operating an AN/CPS-6B and an AN/FPS-10 radar at this site on 1 February 1953, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. In 1958 the height-finder radar was replaced by an AN/FPS-6.

In 1959, the United States Army opened Army Air-Defense Command Post DF-30DC for Nike Missile air-defense system, Dallas-Fort Worth Defense Area in 1959. Duncanville was incorporated into BUIC I, a manual back-up interceptor control system implemented in 1962. BUIC I provided limited command and control capability in the event the SAGE system was disabled.

Duncanville AFS closed on July 1, 1964, when the 745th Radar Squadron transferred to Perrin AFS, TX (RP-78). Army Nike operations ended in 1969. After its closure, the Navy took over the housing units for Naval Air Station Dallas. Three acres were deeded to the City of Duncanville in late 1998 for development of a new swimming pool, landscaped walkway, jogging trail, a park entrance and expanded parking.

Air Force units and assignments

Units:

  • 745th Aircraft
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.