World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Dutch clipper

Article Id: WHEBN0001040108
Reproduction Date:

Title: Dutch clipper  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Clipper, Bawley, Pacific Catamaran, Mistico (boat), Pausik
Collection: Clippers, Sailing Rigs and Rigging, Tall Ships of the Netherlands
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Dutch clipper

While the majority of the clipper ships sailed under British and American flags, more than a hundred clippers were built in the Netherlands. They were medium clippers rather than the larger extreme clipper.

At an exhibition in Amsterdam in 1852 the Dutch lieutenant-commander M.H. Jansen showed a model of a medium-clipper which he obtained from the shipbuilders Perrine, Patterson & Stack of Williamsburg, Brooklyn. The shipping company of Gebr. Blussé (Dordrecht) were very impressed by this model. This resulted in the launching of the clipper Kosmopoliet (800 tons) for the company in 1854. She is said to be the first Dutch clipper.

But in 1850 the barque Magdalena (377 ton) was built in Amsterdam, and in 1853 four more ships with clipper lines were launched, of which the iron ship California (663 ton) is the most famous. She was built by Fop Smit, commanded by F.C. Jaski for the company L. Bienfait & sn. On her maiden voyage Jaski sailed her in 86 days from The Downs to Port Adelaide, delivering a hundred satisfied English immigrants.

The Kosmopoliet also carried cargo and passengers. She was full-rigged and carried royals and skysails on all three masts. Though a voyage from the Netherlands to Java normally took a hundred days or more (port to port), the Kosmopoliet completed her maiden voyage in 89 days. Later she did the passage in 76, 74 and 77 days. In 1862 the Kosmopoliet II (1200 tons) was launched, followed by Kosmopolitet III, which measured 1385 tons.

Other companies soon followed Gebr. Blussé. Some clipper ships were purchased from abroad, like the Electra (formerly, Witch of the Wave), but most were built in Dutch shipyards. Other famous series were built, like the Noach I to VI (950 to 1350 tons), several Thorbecke's, the Lichtstraal (1260 tons), Voorlichter (1660 tons), Nestor, Utrecht, etc.

In 1874 a Dutch government investigation into the condition of the shipping industry, called the Enquête of 1874, stated that in 1868 sixteen clipper ships were registered, with a total tonnage of 6000 tons. In 1873 there were eighteen ships (totalling 7878 tons). However, other sources mention a greater number of ships that can be called medium clippers.

Probably there was a difference of opinion in the definition of the clipper. Maybe the ships in the Enquête were only called clipper when they were full rigged, but there were other rigs too. In 1854 for example, the Argo was launched as a 4-masted Jackass-barque. Others were rigged as barques and the Reinhart was a brigantine.

Some figures

The book De clippers by Anno Teenstra (1946) contains a list of all ships under Dutch flag which were classified as clippers during the period 1850–1890. The total list enumerates 140 ships. Eighteen of those were built in foreign shipyards.

Of the 122 Dutch ships:

61 were built as full rigged ships
44 were built as barques
15 were built as brigs
2 were built as schooners
1 was built as a brigantine

In later years some of the full-rigged ships were re-rigged as other types. 21 were re-rigged as barques, and 1 barque was even re-rigged into a ship. One re-rigged barque was further reduced into a schooner.

Ten ships were built in iron, 6 were composite ships and 3 were built in steel. Three ships were built with auxiliary steam engines, but all three ships had the engines taken out after a few years.

Even today the Dutch have a clipper sailing - the full rigged ship Stad Amsterdam. Built in 2000 by Damen Shipyards, owned by Randstad Holding and the city of Amsterdam. They also built the Cisne Branco which was commissioned for Brazilian Navy in 2000.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.