World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Ebley Crossing Halt railway station

Article Id: WHEBN0020939732
Reproduction Date:

Title: Ebley Crossing Halt railway station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Stonehouse railway station, Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway, Cashes Green Halt railway station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Ebley Crossing Halt railway station

Ebley Crossing Halt
The site of Ebley Crossing Halt in 2009
Location
Place Ebley
Area Stroud
Grid reference SO826050
Operations
Original company Great Western Railway
Pre-grouping Great Western Railway
Post-grouping Great Western Railway
Platforms 2
History
12 October 1903 (1903-10-12) Station opened
2 November 1964 (1964-11-02) Station closed
Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom
Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
UK Railways portal

Ebley Crossing Halt was opened on 12 October 1903 on what is now the Golden Valley Line between Stroud and Stonehouse. This line was opened in 1845 as the Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway from Swindon to Gloucester and this was one of many small stations and halts built on this line for the local passenger service.

History

The halt opened on 12 October 1903[1] with the introduction of the Great Western Railway (GWR) steam railmotor services between Stonehouse and Chalford.

The halt was between Stroud and Stonehouse, and originally consisted of a pair of ground level platforms, but these were subsequently replaced by standard height platforms along with GWR pagoda style shelters. The platforms were later reconstructed in concrete and the down platform had a basic metal shelter. Access to the halt was from the adjacent foot crossing and for a while, a small wooden ticket office on the down side of the Stroud end of the platform, adjacent to the foot crossing.

Closure of the halt came on 2 November 1964[1] following the withdrawal of local stopping passenger services on the line. No trace of the halt remains today, although the foot crossing still exists.

Services

This halt was served by the Gloucester to Chalford local passenger services, known as the Chalford Auto.

|- style="text-align: center;" | style="border-top:solid 1px gray; "| Cashes Green Halt
Station closed | style="background:#000080; border-top:solid 1px gray; " |   | style="text-align: center; border-top:solid 1px gray; "|Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway
Great Western Railway | style="background:#000080;border-top:solid 1px gray; " |   | style="border-top:solid 1px gray; "|Stonehouse

|}

References

Coordinates: 51°44′37″N 2°15′08″W / 51.7436°N 2.2523°W / 51.7436; -2.2523

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.