World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Ecclesfield East railway station

Article Id: WHEBN0007529389
Reproduction Date:

Title: Ecclesfield East railway station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Chapeltown Central railway station, Ecclesfield West railway station, Ecclesfield railway station, Nunnery engine shed, Grimesthorpe engine shed
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Ecclesfield East railway station

Ecclesfield East
Location
Place Ecclesfield
Area City of Sheffield
Coordinates
Grid reference
Operations
Pre-grouping South Yorkshire Railway
History
November 1854 Opened
1856 closed
1876 open
7 December 1953 Closed
Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom
Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
UK Railways portal

Ecclesfield East railway station was built by the South Yorkshire Railway on their "Blackburn Valley" line between Sheffield Wicker and Barnsley. The station was intended to serve the parish of Ecclesfield, near Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England, although it is some distance from the centre of the village.

The original "Ecclesfield" railway station was opened in November 1854 and closed just two years later . It was replaced by a new station opened in 1876, with buildings and staggered platforms linked by a footbridge and cost £1985 (including sidings and approach road). These buildings are identical to those at Meadowhall although it had staggered platforms. The station closed on 7 December 1953.

The nearby station of Ecclesfield West was initially also known as Ecclesfield.

External links

  • Ecclesfield East station (shown closed) on navigable 1955 O. S. map
  • South Yorkshire Railway, Ecclesfield history pages


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.