World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

English Place-Name Society

Article Id: WHEBN0000380103
Reproduction Date:

Title: English Place-Name Society  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: EPNS, Hallamshire, Margaret Gelling, Scottish Place-Name Society, Onomastics
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

English Place-Name Society

Script error The '''English Place-Name Society''' is a concerned with and the , in other words, the study of place-names (). Its scholars aim to explain the origin and history of the names they study, taking into account factors such as the meaning of the elements out of which they were created (which can be in languages such as , or early , , or etc.); the topography, geology and ecology of the places bearing the names; and the general and local history and . ==History== In 1922 Professor Allen Mawer read a paper to the about setting up an English place-name survey. He obtained the formal and financial support of the Academy. Within a year he had brought into being a society composed of interested persons, provided it with a constitution and laid down the lines of its future conduct.Journal of the English Place-Name Society, Volume 25 The headquarters of the Society were first at the where Mawer was Professor of English Language. The publications of the Society began in 1924 with two volumes, a collection of essays and a dictionary of place-name elements. Mawer and Aileen Armstrong acted as General Editors for the annual volumes of county place-name surveys. From 1929 J. E. B. Gover collected material and was sub-editor of the volumes. In 1929 Professor Mawer was appointed Provost of and the Society moved there at the end of the year. When World War II came the Society moved briefly to , back to London and then to Stansted Bury on the /Essex border. In July 1942 Sir Allen Mawer died and Sir Frank Stenton became General Editor. The Society moved to the University of Reading until 1946. When Professor Bruce Dickins succeeded as Honorary Director the Society moved to the and Miss Margaret Midgley (later Dr Margaret Gelling) was appointed Research Assistant.

When Professor Hugh Smith assumed the position of Honorary Director in 1951, University College, London became once more the Society's headquarters, with Margaret Midgley continuing research there until 1953. Hugh Smith produced two new "Elements" volumes and 14 others on county place-names. On his death in 1967 Professor Kenneth Cameron became Honorary Director and the Society's offices were split between London and Nottingham, where the university provided room for the Library and Archives, as well as the services of a secretary. In 1972 the Society moved completely to Nottingham where it remains at the Centre for Name Studies. Victor Watts became Honorary Director in 1992 until his death in 2002 when he was succeeded by Professor Richard Coates.

Publications

In 1969 the Society commenced publishing its annual "Journal", which contains essays on various place-name topics. Most English counties are now covered in its place-name survey, however its early volumes are not as detailed as its later ones. From the 1960s there has been a change in the interpretation of some place-names, resulting from the detailed comparison of distributions of the place-name types which had been thought to be early Saxon and archaeological evidence. There was originally also a bias towards interpreting names as British Academy, and from 2005 to 2010 was supported by a large grant from the Arts and Humanities Research Council. English Place-Name Society material was used as the basis of the The Cambridge dictionary of English place-names published in 2004.

Notes

  1. Journal of the English Place-name Society, Volume 25.
  2. Journal of the English Place-Name Society, Volume 31.

References

  • Smith, A H, English Place-Name Elements (2 volumes), English Place Name Society, Cambridge University Press (1987).
  • Mills, A D, Dictionary of English Place-Names, Oxford University Press (1991).
  • Cameron, Kenneth, English place-names (new edition), Batsford (1996).
  • Watts, Victor, Cambridge dictionary of English place-names, Cambridge (2004).

See also

External links

  • University of Nottingham Institute for Name-Studies official website
  • Bibliographic data on English Place-name Society survey volumes
  • : tables of contentsJournal of the English Place-name Society
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.