World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Entre Ríos Railway

Article Id: WHEBN0012840777
Reproduction Date:

Title: Entre Ríos Railway  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: ER, Basavilbaso, Index of Argentina-related articles, América Latina Logística, Ferrocarril General Urquiza, Nicolás Mihanovich
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Entre Ríos Railway

The Entre Ríos Railway (ER) (in Spanish: Ferrocarril Entre Rios) was a British-owned railway company that built and operated a railway network in Entre Ríos Province, between the rivers Uruguay and Paraná, in Argentina. When the company was nationalisation in 1948 it became part of the state-owned Ferrocarril General Urquiza.

The company began operation in 1892 by purchasing a 612 km (380 mi) rail network operated by Ferrocarril Central Entrerriano from the provincial government. Four years later the company purchased the 10 km (6.2 mi) Gualeguay to Puerto Ruiz line, built by Ferrocarril Primer Entrerriano in 1866, from the national government, and on 12 October 1899 a 19 km (11.8 mi) branch line from Sola to Macía was opened.

A line from Villaguay to Concordia, on the River Uruguay, was built in 1902 reaching Jubileo on 25 January, General Campos on 3 March and Concordia on 30 June where it joined the Argentine North Eastern Railway. Later the following branch lines were opened: from Las Colas to Carbó on 10 October 1906, from Caseros to Villa Elisa on 28 December 1906, from Crespo to Hasenkamp on 26 August 1907, from Médanos to Carbó on 1 February 1908, from Médanos to Ibicuy on 15 March 1908, from Ibucuy to the port in 1909, Carbó to Parera on 1 December 1909 and Villa Elisa to San Salvador on 2 July 1912.

In 1915 a joint administration was established with the neighbouring British-owned Argentine North Eastern Railway.

By the time President Juan Peron nationalised Argentina’s railways in 1948 the ER operated a 1300 km network which became part of the state-owned Ferrocarril General Urquiza.

References

  • Colin M. Lewis, British Railways in Argentina 1857-1914: A Case Study of Foreign Investment, Athlone Press (for the Institute of Latin American Studies, University of London), 1983.
  • Winthrop R. Wright, British-Owned Railways in Argentina – Their Effect on Economic Nationalism, 1854-1948, ( Latin American Monograph No. 34, Institute of Latin American Studies), Univ. of Texas Press, London, 1974.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.