World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Fenny Compton West railway station

Article Id: WHEBN0020949268
Reproduction Date:

Title: Fenny Compton West railway station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Byfield railway station, Burton Dassett railway station, North End railway station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Fenny Compton West railway station

Fenny Compton West
Location
Place Fenny Compton
Area District of Stratford-on-Avon
Operations
Original company East and West Junction Railway
Pre-grouping SuA&MJR
Post-grouping London, Midland and Scottish Railway
Western Region of British Railways
Platforms 2
History
1 June 1871 Station opens
1 August 1877 Station closes
22 February 1885 Station reopens
7 April 1952 Station closes[1]
Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom
Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
UK Railways portal

Fenny Compton West railway station was a railway station serving Fenny Compton in the English county of Warwickshire.

History

It was opened by East and West Junction Railway between Stratford upon Avon and Towcester. The first section of the line to open was the Fenny Compton to Kineton section on 1 June 1871 followed by the Kineton to Stratford upon Avon section on 1 July 1873.

There were two platforms to serve the passing loop on the otherwise single line. It was built side by side with the GWR's Fenny Compton station on the Birmingham & Oxford Junction Railway which had opened in 1852. The up platform was directly next to the GWR down, but because the latter's goods yard was in between, the E&W one tapered down to less than 3 feet instead of the required six - something which the Board of Trade inspector ordered should be rectified but which was never done.[2]

In fact the Board of Trade had been extremely critical of the impecunious line. On the first visit of its inspector for, it had commented on deficient ballast, missing fish bolts, incomplete points interlocking, as well as poor fencing and lack of station facilities, such as name boards and clocks

The line became part of the Stratford-upon-Avon and Midland Junction Railway in a merger of 1908 and at grouping in 1923 it became part of the London Midland and Scottish Railway.

The LMS found it a useful link between its Bristol and London routes in competition with GWR goods traffic to the Capital.

Initially the line had its own signal box, but in 1931 a new joint LMS and GWR box was built to the north of the station. This in turn was replaced by British Rail in 1960.

Passenger services finished on the E&W in 1952. Subsequently, the up platform was removed, and various connecting lines were installed to allow through goods traffic. However this never materialised because the line was closed as a through route in 1965. A stub of the Stratford upon Avon line remains as a freight line leading to the Kineton Military Railway. The GWR line remains as the present day Didcot to Chester line. Although the station trackwork remains much as it was, the platforms and most of the buildings have gone.

Routes

|- style="text-align: center;" | style="border-top:solid 1px gray; "| North End | style="background:#960018; border-top:solid 1px gray; " |   | style="text-align: center; border-top:solid 1px gray; "|SMJR
East and West Junction Railway | style="background:#960018;border-top:solid 1px gray; " |   | style="border-top:solid 1px gray; "|Byfield |}

References

Further reading

  • Jordan, A., (1982) The Stratford upon Avon and Midland Junction Railway: The Shakespeare Route, Oxford Railway Publishing Company
  • Dunn, J.M., (1952) The Stratford upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway, South Godstone: The Oakwood Press

External links

  • Feny Compton West station on navigable 1946 O. S. map

Coordinates: 52°10′22″N 1°22′37″W / 52.1729°N 1.3770°W / 52.1729; -1.3770

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.