World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Fort Anderson (North Carolina)

Article Id: WHEBN0016637926
Reproduction Date:

Title: Fort Anderson (North Carolina)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Brunswick Town, North Carolina, Forts in North Carolina, Edenton Historic District, Bentonville Battlefield, Bath Historic District (Bath, North Carolina)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Fort Anderson (North Carolina)

1865 map of Fort Anderson

Fort Anderson was an early fort in the lower [1]

Excavation

Lawrence Lee was the first to begin exploring and researching the land in 1951 where Brunswick Town and Fort Anderson once stood. He realized how historically valuable the land was. Because of him, the site was named a historic site. The family that owned Orton Plantation sold a majority of the land to the State Department of Archives and History for one dollar and the Episcopal Diocese of East Carolina sold the land they owned for one dollar too. Seven years later, he directed the recovery of the site. From the excavation, many things were revealed. For example: Brunswick Town’s streets and the foundations of houses. In 1958, Stanly South, a professional archaeologist, came to the site to work. Through the years, he and his team found artifacts, foundations of old structures, and around sixty archeological features.

In April 1967, the visitor center opened. Its purpose was to inform everyone on the history of Brunswick Town and Fort Anderson. Excavation was halted in 1968 due to North Carolina’s Department of Cultural Resources stopping excavation in all state-owned parks. It was because of money issues that this occurred. This is still a problem even today.

Excavations today

Under the supervision of Professor Tom Beaman excavations have begun of the civil war barracks of the site. Peace college field school has helped excavated as well as the students of Summer Ventures, Wake Technical College, UNCW and many other volunteers. Ground breaking artifacts are still being found and Fort Anderson will continue to be excavated in the future.

Historic site

The state of North Carolina maintains and operates the area as Brunswick Town/Fort Anderson State Historic Site. The visitor center features displays and an audiovisual program about both the colonial port Brunswick Town and the Civil War period Fort Anderson. Outdoor trails lead past exhibits and the excavated ruins of the fort and town.

Sleepy Hollow

This historical site has also been used as a set location for the Sleepy Hollow tv show, as parts of Purgatory, and the location of Methuselah's sword. The museum on sight was also used in a scene.

References

  1. ^
  • Brunswick Town State Historic Site Manager. Oral Interview.
  • Chris E. Fonvielle, Jr., Fort Anderson (Mason City, Iowa: Savas Publishing Company, 1999), 94-100.
  • Encyclopedia of North Carolina, s.v. “Brunswick Town.”
  • Lawrence Lee. Book of Documents. Unpublished.
  • Lawrence Lee, The History of Brunswick County North Carolina, 208

External links

  • Brunswick Town/Fort Anderson - official site

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.