World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Fort Lee Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030629245
Reproduction Date:

Title: Fort Lee Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Semi-Automatic Ground Environment, Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-14 Radar, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar, MIT AN/CPS-4 Radar
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Fort Lee Air Force Station

Fort Lee Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Fort Lee AFS is located in Virginia
Fort Lee AFS
Fort Lee AFS
Location of Fort Lee AFS, Virginia
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1956
In use 1956-1983
Garrison information
Garrison Washington Air Defense Sector
33d Air Division
20th Air Division

Fort Lee Air Force Station is a closed Prince George, Virginia. It was closed in 1983.

History

Fort Lee Air Force Station, located on the United States Army Fort Lee installation, was selected in 1956 for a Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) system direction center (DC) site, designated DC-04. The SAGE system was a network linking Air Force (and later FAA) General Surveillance Radar stations into a centralized center for Air Defense, intended to provide early warning and response for a Soviet nuclear attack. This automated control system was used by NORAD for tracking and intercepting enemy bomber aircraft. In the later versions the system could automatically direct aircraft to an interception by sending instructions directly to the aircraft's autopilot.

The 4625th Air Defense Wing was activated at the site under the 85th Air Division on 1 December 1956 to supervise the construction of the SAGE blockhouses and the installation and testing of the SAGE electronic and data processing equipment. The 4625th ADW was re-designated as the Washington Air Defense Sector (WaADS) on 8 January 1957 upon DC-04's activation, remaining under the 85th AD.

The operation of the Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) direction center (DC-04) was the mission the WaADS. The Sector was disestablished on 1 April 1966, the SAGE operations were reassigned to the 33d Air Division, being moved to Fort Lee AFS from Richards-Gebaur AFB, Missouri. The 33d AD was inactivated on 19 November 1969, its assets being assumed by the newly reactivated 20th Air Division at Fort Lee AFS

The DC-04 and the 20th Air Division were inactivated on 1 March 1983 by ADTAC. With its inactivation, Fort Lee Air Force Station was closed. After its closure, the site was taken over by the Federal Government, and is now the home of several federal agencies. Only the orderly room, mess hall and one barracks building still stand of the Air Force station.

The SAGE blockhouse also stands, now named Von Steuben Hall and contains the Combined Arms Support Command (CASCOM) Training Director, Battle Support Center, Logistics Exercise & Simulation Directorate and the National Simulation Center.

Known ADCOM units assigned

  • 20th ADCOM Region
Transferred to ADTAC as 20th NORAD Region, 1 October 1979-1 March 1983
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.