World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Fort Pickering

Article Id: WHEBN0018747014
Reproduction Date:

Title: Fort Pickering  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of forts, Winter Island, Unattached Companies Massachusetts Volunteer Militia
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Fort Pickering

Fort Pickering
250px
Fort Pickering
Location Winter Island, Salem, Massachusetts
Coordinates

42°31′36″N 70°54′2″W / 42.52667°N 70.90056°W / 42.52667; -70.90056Coordinates: 42°31′36″N 70°54′2″W / 42.52667°N 70.90056°W / 42.52667; -70.90056

Area 2 acres (0.81 ha)
Built 1643
Governing body City of Salem
Part of Winter Island Historic District and Archeological District
NRHP Reference # 73000320[1]
Added to NRHP February 08, 1973

Fort Pickering is a 17th-century historic fort site on Winter Island in Salem, Massachusetts. Fort Pickering operated as a strategic coastal defense and military barracks for Salem Harbor during a variety of periods, serving as a fortification from the Anglo-Dutch Wars through World War II. Construction of the original fort began in 1643 and it saw use as a military installation into the 20th century. Fort Pickering is a First System fortification named for Colonel Timothy Pickering, adjutant general of the Continental Army and secretary of War in 1795. Today, the remains of the fort are open to the public as part of the Winter Island Maritime Park, operated by the City of Salem.

17th Century

Winter Island at the time of English settlement in the early 1600s was an island separated from the mainland, held as common land by the Proprietors and used as a fortification and for fishing activities (Perley, 1924).

18th Century

The old fortification which was named Fort William then renamed Fort Ann, was rebuilt around 1706 under the direction of the Royal Engineers who had originally been sent by King William III to fortify the colonies (Finch, 1998: Salem Observer 1978). In 1794, the City of Salem ceded the fort to the federal government and a new fort was constructed in its place. Major repairs to the fort were conducted in 1796 and a restoration in 1799. Later in 1799 it was renamed Fort Pickering in honor of Timothy Pickering, then Secretary of State of the U.S. (Observer 1978).



19th Century

Fort received its forth military restoration in 1814 (Collins). During the 1800s the island was used primarily for fortification and in 1864 the City of Salem again ceded the island to the federal government in support of the Civil War efforts.

20th Century

The site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. In 1994, the National Register designated the significant collection of cultural resources at Winter Island and Fort Pickering as the "Winter Island Historic District and Archeological District."


See also

References


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.