World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Fort Ter-Waw

Article Id: WHEBN0002569742
Reproduction Date:

Title: Fort Ter-Waw  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: History of Del Norte County, California, Camp Lincoln (California), Forts in California, Great Flood of 1862, Yurok Indian Reservation
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Fort Ter-Waw

Fort Ter-Waw
Fort Ter-Waw is located in California
Fort Ter-Waw
Location of Fort Ter-Waw in California
Location Ter-Wer Riffle and Klamath Glen Rds., Klamath, California
Coordinates
Reference no. 544

Fort Ter-Waw, a former U. S. Army fort, that was located six miles from the mouth of the Klamath River, in the former Klamath River Reservation and to the east of the present town of Klamath, California, Klamath on SR 169.

It was a U. S. 4th Infantry Regiment. The fort was part of the Humboldt Military District headquartered at Fort Humboldt. Most of the fort was destroyed during the Great Flood of 1862 in December 1861, and abandoned June 10, 1862. The garrison was moved to Camp Lincoln.

The site is now in Del Norte County and is marked by a California Historical Landmark (#544). Its location can be found, from Hwy 101 taking Ter-Wer Valley exit (Hwy 169), going 3.4 mi to the end of the road, turn right on Ter-Wer Riffle Road. Site at intersection of Ter-Wer Riffle and Klamath Glen Roads, in Klamath.

References

  • Historic California Posts: Fort Ter-Waw, The California State Military Museum


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.