World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Franklin River (Vancouver Island)

Article Id: WHEBN0012158778
Reproduction Date:

Title: Franklin River (Vancouver Island)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Franklin, List of rivers of British Columbia, Julius Bloedel, MacMillan Bloedel, Lumley Franklin, Franklin River (disambiguation), List of rivers of British Columbia (alphabetical)
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Franklin River (Vancouver Island)

Franklin River in Vancouver Island, British Columbia, is located between Alberni Inlet and Barkley Sound, was named as part of the Vancouver Island Exploration Expedition of 1864. The river was named for Selim Franklin, Esquire, who was Chairman of the Exploration Committee.

The Franklin River flows west into Sproat Narrows in the Alberni Inlet, south of the city of Port Alberni. The traditional name of the river is Owatchet.

In 1911 Seattle attorney Julius Bloedel and the Bloedel Stewart Welch Company began purchasing Vancouver Island land for logging. Their Franklin River location became one of the largest logging operations in the world. Later in 1938 the company would become the first in British Columbia to plant seedlings in areas that had been logged.

See also


  • Vancouver Island Exploration Expedition, 1864. (Lands Vault, plan P.2.T.67)
  • Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
  • Report of the 1864 Vancouver Island Exploration Expedition, published at Victoria, 1865, p.22; accession NW 971.1 V, V225
  • See Victoria Colonist, 27 December 1858 for biographical information about Franklin
  • Source: Provincial Archives' Place Names File (the "Harvey File") compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions
  • 13 August 1945 on C.3609, as labelled on BC map 2A, 1913 et seq, and as identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer; Confirmed 8 July 1948 on C.3609

External links

  • BC Whitewater Rafting - Rated Class 4 (perhaps 5+ in canyon below Bamfield Road)

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.