World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Gettysburg Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030531861
Reproduction Date:

Title: Gettysburg Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-14 Radar, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar, MIT AN/CPS-4 Radar, 4722d Air Defense Group
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Gettysburg Air Force Station

Gettysburg Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Gettysburg AFS is located in South Dakota
Gettysburg AFS
Gettysburg AFS
Location of Gettysburg AFS, South Dakota
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Code ADC ID: P-29, NORAD ID: Z-29
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1956
In use 1956-1965
Garrison information
Garrison 903d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Emblem of the 903d Radar Squadron

Gettysburg Air Force Station is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 2.6 miles (4.2 km) north of Gettysburg, South Dakota. It was closed in 1968.

History

In late 1951 Air Defense Command selected Gettysburg, South Dakota as one of twenty-eight radar stations built as part of the second segment of the permanent radar surveillance network. Prompted by the start of the Korean War, on July 11, 1950, the Secretary of the Air Force asked the Secretary of Defense for approval to expedite construction of the second segment of the permanent network. Receiving the Defense Secretary’s approval on July 21, the Air Force directed the Corps of Engineers to proceed with construction.

Gettysburg Air Force Station was activated on 1 January 1956 with the assignment of the 903d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron. The station was initially equipped with an AN/MPS-7 search radar and an AN/MPS-14 height-finder radar, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. In 1958 an AN/FPS-20A search radar replaced the AN/MPS-7, and an AN/FPS-6A height-finder radar was installed.

During 1960 Gettysburg AFS joined the Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) system, initially feeding data to DC-11 at Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota. After joining, the squadron was re-designated as the 903d Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 15 January 1960. The radar squadron provided information 24/7 the SAGE Direction Center where it was analyzed to determine range, direction altitude speed and whether or not aircraft were friendly or hostile

The search radar subsequently was upgraded and redesignated as an AN/FPS-66 in 1961. In 1963 an AN/FPS-90 joined the AN/MPS-14 in performing height-finder duties. The station was re-designated as NORAD ID Z-29 on 31 July. In 1964 an AN/FPS-27 was installed, and the AN/FPS-66 was retired.

The Air Force inactivated the 903rd Radar Squadron on 18 June 1968. The FAA continues to operate long-range radar there today using an AN/FPS-67B search radar atop the old AN/FPS-27 radar tower as part of the Joint Surveillance System (JSS).

Air Force units and assignments

Units

  • Established as the 903d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Activated at Great Falls AFB (later Malmstrom AFB), MT on 20 May 1953 (not manned or equipped)
Moved to Gettysburg AFS on 1 January 1956
Redesignated 903d Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 15 January 1960
Discontinued and inactivated on 18 June 1968

Assignments

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.