World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Glew, Buenos Aires

Article Id: WHEBN0018797428
Reproduction Date:

Title: Glew, Buenos Aires  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of cities in Argentina, Greater Buenos Aires, Almirante Brown Partido, Index of Argentina-related articles, List of tornadoes striking downtown areas of large cities, Glew, Lautaro Acosta
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Glew, Buenos Aires

Glew

Coat of arms

Location in Buenos Aires Province

Coordinates: 34°53′S 58°23′W / 34.883°S 58.383°W / -34.883; -58.383Coordinates: 34°53′S 58°23′W / 34.883°S 58.383°W / -34.883; -58.383

Country  Argentina
Province Partido Almirante Brown
Elevation 28 m (92 ft)
Population (2001 census [INDEC])
 • Total 57,878
CPA Base B 1856
Area code(s) +54 11-2224
Website www.almirantebrown.gov.ar

Glew is a city in southern Almirante Brown Partido, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina. Its municipal area of 17.65 km2 (6.81 sq mi) holds a population of 57,878 (2001 census [INDEC]). Its located 34 km (21 mi) from Buenos Aires city, and connected to it by the Ferrocarril General Roca.

The city originated with the purchase of the land in 1857 by Juan Glew, who established an estancia there. He donated land for the extension of the Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway in 1865, and a permanent settlement was founded at the site on August 14 by the name of Pueblo Cambaceres (in honor of Antonio Cambaceres, a distinguished writer and legislator who owned an adjacent lot).

The Parish of St. Anne was consecrated in 1905. This small church was chosen in 1953 by a frequent summer visitor, painter Fundación Soldi was established in Glew in 1979 for the promotion of the arts.

Borders

External links

  • Municipal information: Municipal Affairs Federal Institute (IFAM), Municipal Affairs Secretariat, Ministry of Interior, Argentina. (Spanish)
  • (Spanish) Municipal website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.