World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Grimesthorpe engine shed

Article Id: WHEBN0004555704
Reproduction Date:

Title: Grimesthorpe engine shed  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Tinsley Motive Power Depot, Chapeltown Central railway station, Nunnery engine shed, Ecclesfield East railway station, Darnall engine shed
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Grimesthorpe engine shed

Grimesthorpe engine shed was an engine shed in Grimesthorpe, Sheffield. It was built by the Midland Railway and opened in 1860 to serve the Midland Main Line. Up until 1935, Grimesthorpe shed code was 25, then changed to 19A by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway. Grimesthorpe gained the shed code of 41B after transfer to British Railways Eastern Region in 1958.

Contents

  • Structure 1
  • Locomotives 2
  • Closure 3
  • References 4

Structure

The shed was built next to Grimesthorpe Junction. The building was a brick roundhouse shed. An eight road fitting shop was added in 1898.

Locomotives

Locomotive classes assigned to Grimesthorpe by the London Midland Region in 1952 included:

Closure

The shed officially closed on 11 September 1961, however it continued to be used to stable diesel locomotives for several years until Tinsley Marshalling Yard and its depot opened.

References

  • Fox, Peter, (1990) The Midland Line in Sheffield, Sheffield: Platform 5 Publishing Ltd. ISBN 1-872524-16-8.
  • Pixton, B., (2000) North Midland: Portrait of a Famous Route, Cheltenham: Runpast Publishing.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.