World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Gross-Lichterfelde Tramway

Article Id: WHEBN0014274083
Reproduction Date:

Title: Gross-Lichterfelde Tramway  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Steglitz-Zehlendorf, History of rail transport in Germany, Electromote, 1881 in science, Rail transport
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Gross-Lichterfelde Tramway

Lichterfelde tram, 1882
Track map

The Gross Lichterfelde Tramway was the world's first electric tramway. It was built by the Siemens & Halske company in Lichterfelde, a suburb of Berlin, and went in service on 16 May 1881.

Overview

Werner von Siemens had presented the first electric passenger train at the Berlin industrial exhibition two years before. In order to develop the concept, he received the official approval to run an electric tramway line on already existing tracks that had been used for building the Prussian military academy (Hauptkadettenanstalt) at Lichterfelde West.

The 2.4 km (1.5 mi) long line started at Berlin-Lichterfelde Ost station on the Anhalt Railway line. Each car was originally equipped with a 180 Volt DC 4 kW electric motor, the current supplied via the running rails in a manner similar to that used by most present-day model railways. Therefore the metre gauge tracks were generally separated from driveways and trespassing was prohibited.

At railroad crossings the rails were dead or switched on only briefly before the approach of the tramcar. Nevertheless persons and horses frequently received electrical shocks. It is also believed that young persons caused short circuits which shut down the operation by putting wire mesh on the tracks, in order to enjoy the sight of glowing metal.

In 1891 the track was equipped with an overhead wire and the line was extended to Berlin-Lichterfelde West station. After several extensions, operation finally discontinued in 1931.

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.