World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Group medical practice in the United States

Article Id: WHEBN0017863991
Reproduction Date:

Title: Group medical practice in the United States  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Marshfield, Wisconsin, Mayo Clinic, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Sidney Garfield
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Group medical practice in the United States


Group medical practices are defined as "the practice of medicine by a group of physicians who share their premises and other resources."[1]

Office-based physicians and group practices

There are approximately 230,187 physician practices in the United States.[2] Among these physician practices, 52.8% consist of only one office-based physician. The remaining 47.2% of physician practices are group practices. Physician group practices with 2-5 physicians make up 37.1% of physician offices in the United States. 6.3% consist of 6-9 physicians and the remaining 3.7% consist of 10 or more physicians. In recent years, many small or solo practitioners have come (or are considering coming) together to form larger same (or multi) specialty groups in order to get a leg up on managed care.[3]

Formal Definition by CMS

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) changed the definition of "group practice" in its 2012 physician fee schedule to mean 25 or more eligible professionals in the same practice.[4]

References

  1. ^ Online Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus. Free access
  2. ^ Market research study done by SK&A, A Cegedim Company
  3. ^ Schick David (November 29, 2011)Is Coming Together to Form the Larger Same (or Multi) Specialty Medical Practice the Answer? [1] The National Law Review
  4. ^ "MGMA Meaningful Use Stage 2 proposed rule comments". 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.