World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Guthrie Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030440504
Reproduction Date:

Title: Guthrie Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 32d Air Division, Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar, Cape Makkovik Air Station, Cut Throat Island Air Station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Guthrie Air Force Station

Guthrie Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Guthrie AFS is located in West Virginia
Guthrie AFS
Guthrie AFS
Location of Guthrie AFS, West Virginia
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Code ADC ID: P-43, NORAD ID: Z-43
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1951
In use 1951-1968
Garrison information
Garrison 783d Aircraft Control and Warning (later Radar) Squadron

Guthrie Air Force Station is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 5.3 miles (8.5 km) north-northeast of South Charleston, West Virginia. It was closed in 1968.

History

Guthrie Air Force Station was one of twenty-eight stations built as part of the second segment of the permanent Air Defense Command network. Prompted by the start of the Korean War, on July 11, 1950, the Secretary of the Air Force asked the Secretary of Defense for approval to expedite construction of the second segment of the permanent network. Receiving the Defense Secretary’s approval on July 21, the Air Force directed the Corps of Engineers to proceed with construction.

The 783d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron began operating an AN/FPS-3 search radar and an AN/FPS-4 height-finder radar from this site on 16 April 1951, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. In 1958 these units were replaced by an AN/FPS-20 search radar and an AN/FPS-6 height-finder radar, respectively.

During 1962 Guthrie AFS joined the Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) system, initially feeding data to DC-06 at Custer AFS, Michigan. After joining, the squadron was redesignated as the 783d Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 1 July 1962. The radar squadron provided information 24/7 the SAGE Direction Center where it was analyzed to determine range, direction altitude speed and whether or not aircraft were friendly or hostile. In 1962 the search radar was upgraded and redesignated as an AN/FPS-67. A second AN/FPS-6 height-finder radar was added in 1963, and on 31 July, the site was redesignated as NORAD ID Z-43. One AN/FPS-6 was then retired in 1966.

In addition to the main facility, Guthrie operated four unmanned AN/FPS-18 Gap Filler sites:

  • Bainbridge, OH (P-43A)
  • Hellier, KY (P-43B)
  • Owingsville, KY (P-43C/P-82B)
  • Lewisville, OH (P-43E)

The Air Force discontinued the 783d Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 18 June 1968; the station was closed on 30 June. Today most of the installation was still in use by various state organizations, mainly the Guthrie Agricultural Center of the WV Department of Agriculture, Forestry Service, and Health Department. Although the radar towers had been removed, the foundations of the AN/FPS-67 and the AN/FPS-6 are quite visible. Most of the buildings are well-maintained, and many now have vinyl siding on them. The houses of the original housing area are occupied as family residences; also, in addition, a second housing area on the adjacent hilltop have homes that have been remodeled and placed on the market for sale, many have occupants living in them.

Units and assignments

Emblem of the 783d Radar Squadron

Units

  • Constituted as the 783d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Activated on 16 April 1951
Redesignated as 783d Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 1 July 1962
Discontinued and inactivated on 18 June 1968

Assignments

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.