World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Gypsumville, Manitoba

Article Id: WHEBN0006730104
Reproduction Date:

Title: Gypsumville, Manitoba  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of Indian reserves in Canada, Rural Municipality of Grahamdale, Frontier School Division, Manitoba Highway 6, List of R postal codes of Canada
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Gypsumville, Manitoba

Gypsumville
Gypsumville is located in Manitoba
Gypsumville
Location of Gypsumville in Manitoba
Coordinates:
Country  Canada
Province  Manitoba
Region Interlake
Census Division No. 18
Government
 • Governing Body Rural Municipality of Grahamdale Council
 • MP James Bezan
 • MLA Thomas G. Nevakshonoff
Time zone CST (UTC−6)
 • Summer (DST) CDT (UTC−5)
Postal Code R0C 1J0
Area code(s) 204
NTS Map 062O15
GNBC Code GAKCE

Gypsumville is a community 242 kilometres north-northwest of Winnipeg in the Interlake Region of Manitoba on the north bank of Lake St. Martin in the Rural Municipality of Grahamdale.

There are 285 people living in and 175 housing units within the community.[1]

It is the administrative office of the Little Saskatchewan First Nations band government.

History

The community was named Gypsumville after a post office with a same name was opened in 1905. The office was named after the gypsum deposits found in the area. Deposits were discovered in 1888 and by 1890 mining operations begun.

A shortline railway was built from Gypsumville to the shore of Lake Manitoba, where the gypsum was transloaded on to barges and shipped to a railhead on the Whitemud River at south end of the lake, near the present community of Westbourne.[2]

In 1912 the Canadian National Railway built a rail line in to Gypsumville.

Both of the railway lines are now abandoned.

References

  1. ^ Broadbad.gc.ca: Community profile
  2. ^ William Martin (1856-1932) Manitoba Historical Society.

External links

  • Grahamdale.ca: Gypsumville
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.