Hildebrand Gregori

The Venerable Hildebrand Gregori, O.S.B. Silv. (8 May 1894 – 12 November 1985), was a Benedictine monk, who served as the Abbot General of the Sylvestrine congregation of the Order. He was born Alfredo Gregori in Poggio Ginolfo, part of the town of Carsoli in the province of L'Aquila, Italy, and died at the congregation's abbey in Rome.

The abbot was moved at the plight of the many orphans and street children he saw in Rome in the years after World War II. He began to take the young boys into his own monastery to help them, but he envisioned a community of Religious Sisters who would undertake this task. In 1950, he formed the "Prayerful Sodality" which in 1977 became the Pontifical Congregation of the Benedictine Sisters of the Reparation of the Holy Face. Abbot Hildebrand directed his spiritual daughters to the "charism of reparation," understood as an act of love against the "sin of social injustice," in reference to the Holy Face of Jesus. Currently the Sisters have 14 communities in Italy, one in Poland, one in Romania, two in India, and one in Congo.[1]

On September 27, 2000 the 50th anniversary of the religious congregation he founded, Gregori was honored by an official letter from Pope John Paul II to Cardinal Fiorenzo Angelini.[2]

In 2007, the 15-year diocesan phase in the process of his canonization was completed and on that occasion, Cardinal Camillo Ruini, Vicar General of the Diocese of Rome, called him "a contemplative monk and untiring apostle in responding to the needs of his time". He was then declared "Venerable".

References


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.