World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Hindu School, Kolkata

Article Id: WHEBN0005908948
Reproduction Date:

Title: Hindu School, Kolkata  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Ram Mohan Roy, Satyendranath Tagore, Jyotirindranath Tagore, Ganendranath Tagore, Oriental Seminary, Mahatma Gandhi Road, Kolkata
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Hindu School, Kolkata

Hindu School
School builiding
Address
1B,Bankim Chatterjee Street
Kolkata, West Bengal India, 700 073,
Information
Established 1817
Founder Sir Hyde East
Headmaster Pradip Kumar Chatterjee
Website

Hindu School is a school in Kolkata (Calcutta), India. It is located on College Street, in the vicinity of Hare School, College Square, Presidency College and the University of Calcutta. Hindu College, the school's predecessor, was established in 1817 by Raja Rammohan Roy, David Hare, Radhakanta Deb and other educationists. In 1855, the pathsala part of Hindu College became Hindu School and the other part (mahapathshala) became Presidency College. The date of establishment of the Hindu College, 1817, is considered the establishment date of both Hindu school and Presidency College. The school is one of the oldest existing schools in Calcutta and India.

The school has grades 1 to 12 and the language of instruction is Bengali. Students appear for 10+(Madhyamik) examination under West Bengal Board of Secondary Education and 12+(Higher Secondary Examination) examination under West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education. Grade 11 and 12 have three streams- science, arts and commerce. It is a boys-only school with a strength of 1100 students.

Overview

Prior to the advent of the British in India, the primary schools of Bengal taught very little beyond Bangla, simple Arithmetic and Sanskrit. The tols (local small schools run by individuals) gave lessons in advanced Sanskrit, grammar and literature, theology, logic and metaphysics. This was not enough to satisfy the aspiration of Indians like Raja Rammohun Roy, who felt that the process would only 'load the minds of youths with grammatical niceties and metaphysical distinctions' without having any practical use. The necessity of learning English was also keenly felt by people who had to carry on a constant interaction with the British businessmen. A few schools were set up with the purpose of providing rudimentary education in the English language to native Indians. Hindu School was one of them.

History

Dewan Baidya Nath Mukherjee was deputed to collect the subscriptions for the new school. Sir Edward Hyde East, Chief Justice of the Calcutta Supreme Court was invited to chair the committee and Joseph Baretto became the Treasurer.[1] The principal donors being the Maharajah of Burdwan (Tejchand Bahadur) and Gopee Mohun Thakur, each contributing Rupees 10,000.

On the opening day there were 20 pupils on the rolls but within the next three months the number swelled to 69. At a later date the pathshala was separated as Hindu School.

Chronology

  • January 20, 1817 - Hindu College is established
  • 1855 - The pathshala part became Hindu School, and the other part (mahapathshala) became Presidency College.
  • 1992 - 175th anniversary observed

Notable alumni

References

  1. ^ "History". Hindu School. Retrieved 2 July 2014. 
  2. ^ Sengupta, Subodh Chandra and Bose, Anjali (editors), Sansad Bangali Charitabhidhan (Biographical dictionary) Vol I, 1976/1998, pp. 554–5, Sahitya Sansad, ISBN 81-85626-65-0 (Bengali).
  3. ^ Sengupta, Subodh Chandra and Bose, Anjali (editors), 1976/1998, Sansad Bangali Charitabhidhan, pp. 184-185

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.