World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Ilha Verde

Article Id: WHEBN0006441162
Reproduction Date:

Title: Ilha Verde  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Macau, Military of Macau under Portuguese rule, Portuguese Macau, Evolution of the Portuguese Empire, Canal dos Patos (Macau)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Ilha Verde

Ilha Verde
Chinese name
Chinese 青洲
Literal meaning green island
name
Ilha Verde
Ilha Verde and Macao Peninsula, 1889
Macau and vicinity, 1912

Ilha Verde (Chinese: 青洲), literally meaning "Green Island", is an area in the northwest of Macau Peninsula, Macau that forms part of the Our Lady Fatima Parish. It was formerly an island to the west of the Macau Isthmus, and was connected to Macau Peninsula in 1895 when a causeway (now Avenida do Conselheiro Borja) was built.[1]Since then reclamation projects around the island took place and now it is annexed to be a part of Macau Peninsula. Colina da Ilha Verde is a hill comprising much of Ilha Verde.The hill is 54.5 metres tall,the sixth tallest in Macau.The Government built barracks on the hill in 1865 and much of the island was of military area for decades,due to it being close to the Chinese border.The area used to be a crab catching place but ceased to be upon the completion of the Ilha Verde cement factory in 1887.

See also

References

  1. ^ http://www.macaubusiness.com/news/govt-cannot-say-when-ilha-verde-crossing-will-open.html


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.