World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Indianapolis Hoosiers (National League)

Article Id: WHEBN0023308448
Reproduction Date:

Title: Indianapolis Hoosiers (National League)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Larry Corcoran, 1905 in baseball, 1889 in baseball, 1888 in baseball, 1887 in baseball, Tom Brown (center fielder), Jumbo Schoeneck, Frank Bancroft
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Indianapolis Hoosiers (National League)

For other uses, see Indianapolis Hoosiers.

The St. Louis Maroons were a professional baseball club based in St. Louis, Missouri, from 1884-1886. The club, established by Henry Lucas, were the one near-major league quality entry in the Union Association, a league that lasted only one season, due in large part to the dominance of the Maroons. When the UA folded after playing just one season, the Maroons joined the National League. In 1887 the Maroons relocated to Indianapolis and became the Indianapolis Hoosiers, playing three more seasons before folding.

St. Louis Maroons

The St. Louis Maroons debuted on April 20, 1884, at the Union Base Ball Park, defeating the UA Chicago club, 7-2. Henry Lucas, the founder of the Union Association and owner of the Maroons, stocked his team with most of the league's best talent. The Maroons went 94-19 in that season; for comparison, the Maroons' record would project to 135-27 under the modern schedule of 162 games, while Pythagorean expectation based on the Maroons' results (887 runs scored, 452 runs allowed) and a 162-game schedule would translate to a record of 131-31, but these results are of questionable merit, and their closest rivals, the Cincinnati Outlaw Reds, finished 21 games behind. Those figures indicate something of the quality of the remainder of the organization, which many derided as the "Onion League".

One of the Maroons' major stars was pitcher Charlie Sweeney, best known today as the pitcher who left Old Hoss Radbourn to shoulder the pitching burden alone with the Providence Grays of the National League. Radbourn went on to pitch most of the rest of the Providence club's games, winning a total of 60. Sweeney won 24 with the Maroons after having already won 17 with the Grays, so he had a fair year as well.

After the Union Association collapsed, the National League was persuaded to bring the St. Louis Union entry into the established league, to try to provide some competition for the St. Louis Browns of the American Association. Unfortunately for the Maroons, the Browns were at the peak of their game, winning pennants four straight years (1885-1888). Meanwhile the Maroons, facing much better competition in the National League, finished well off the National League pace in 1885 and 1886.

Fred Dunlap hit for the cycle for the Maroons on May 24, 1886.

Following the 1886 season, the team was sold to the league, which in turn sold it to John T. Brush. He moved the team to Indianapolis, where they were renamed the Hoosiers.[1] Brush owned the stadium in Indianapolis, which had been previously used by the previous Hoosier team.

Indianapolis Hoosiers

This was the second major league team to bear the name Indianapolis Hoosiers, though they bore no relationship to the earlier team that played in 1884. The Hoosiers three seasons in the National League from 1887 to 1889 and posted records of 37-89 (8th), 50-85 (7th) and 59-75 (7th), respectively.

The team played its weekday home games at Athletic Park. Due to blue laws, the club staged Sunday games outside the city limits, at Bruce Grounds in 1887 and at Indianapolis Park during 1888-89. When the team folded, Brush became part-owner of the New York Giants.

Baseball Hall of Fame member Amos Rusie made his big league debut with the 1889 Hoosiers. Jack Glasscock hit for the cycle for the Hoosiers on August 8, 1889.

See also

References and external links

  • St. Louis Maroons team index page at Baseball Reference
  • 1887-89 NL Hoosiers at Baseball Reference

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.