World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Institute of Pharmacy, Jalpaiguri

Article Id: WHEBN0019178514
Reproduction Date:

Title: Institute of Pharmacy, Jalpaiguri  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Shadan College of Pharmacy, Government Pharmacy College, Bangalore, Sinhgad College of Pharmacy, Victoria College of Pharmacy, Guntur, RKSD College of Pharmacy
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Institute of Pharmacy, Jalpaiguri

Institute of Pharmacy
Established 5 September 1949
Type B.Pharm and Diploma College
Principal Mr. Sourav Sinha Roy
Location Jalpaiguri, West Bengal, India
Campus Urban
Affiliations West Bengal University of Health Sciences
Website .in.ac.ipjalwww

The Institute of Pharmacy, Jalpaiguri, is situated in the district of Jalpaiguri in West Bengal, India. It is situated in the District Hospital Campus in Jalpaiguri Town. It used to be known as Jackson's Medical College. It was created by the then British Government as an axillary medical institution to grant medical degrees in 1923. It is the first diploma pharmacy college in India, as it has been granting diploma degrees in Pharmacy since 1920. The school was upgraded to a B.Pharm degree granting institution in 2003.

History

The building used to be a medical school named Jackson Medical School (established in 1923). The degree it then granted was abolished by the government of India after introduction of MBBS degree in India. In 1949, the site was renamed the Institute of Pharmacy. Later In 1954 Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy, then the Chief Minister of West Bengal established the pharmacy school with Diploma in Pharmacy Course. In 2003, the four-year Bachelor in Pharmacy (B.Pharma) course was introduced in the Institute. It is approved by All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE) and the Pharmacy Council of India (PCI). The institute is affiliated to the West Bengal University of Health Sciences (WBUHS) and the State Medical Faculty of West Bengal.

References

External links

  • Official website

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.