World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Instituto Industrial de Lisboa

Article Id: WHEBN0002926879
Reproduction Date:

Title: Instituto Industrial de Lisboa  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Instituto Superior de Engenharia do Porto, Education in Portugal, Instituto Superior de Engenharia de Lisboa, Fontes Pereira de Melo, Higher education in Portugal
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Instituto Industrial de Lisboa

Instituto Industrial e Comercial de Lisboa was a former Portuguese school of vocational education founded in 1852 as Instituto Industrial de Lisboa, by Minister Fontes Pereira de Melo decree of 30 December. Its aim was the creation of a technical school of vocational education, whose purpose was to facilitate the ongoing industrialization process set up by Pereira de Melo. The education of a large number of skilled industrial technicians in several areas, was one among many innovative reforms Pereira de Melo idealized as Minister. This qualified workers were suited to deal with the new needs in industry.

The Instituto Industrial e Comercial de Lisboa

In 1869 the Instituto Industrial de Lisboa was renamed to Instituto Industrial e Comercial de Lisboa adding commerce studies to the school. Converted to an higher education school of engineering (since 1896) and commerce (since 1884) opened until 1910, which led to the creation of IST - Instituto Superior Técnico and Instituto Superior de Comércio in 1911, the Instituto Industrial e Comercial de Lisboa was extinguished with the end of Portuguese monarchy.

1911: Extinction. Birth of IST and ISEG university institutes

In 1911 it was split into two institutions of higher education: the Instituto Superior Técnico (engineering); and the Instituto Superior de Comércio (commerce/finance - today ISEG - Instituto Superior de Economia e Gestão of the Technical University of Lisbon), later, in 1930, combined with other higher education schools of Lisbon to create the Technical University of Lisbon composed by several faculties and university institutes.

1918: Re-birth of the Instituto Industrial de Lisboa

In 1918 a new Instituto Industrial de Lisboa was re-founded as an intermediate school, in order to train technicians for the industry in a number of engineering-related fields, which operated until 1974. Without higher education among its curricula, it conferred the professional title of Engenheiro Auxiliar (Auxiliary Engineer) since 1924 to 1926 and of Agente Técnico de Engenharia (Technical Agent of Engineering) between 1926 to 1974 as a vocational education school.

1974: Birth of ISEL

In 1974 it was converted into the Instituto Superior de Engenharia de Lisboa (ISEL), providing higher education, and becoming part of the Instituto Politécnico de Lisboa in the 1980s, a grouping of higher education polytechnic schools. It conferred the professional title of engenheiro técnico (technical engineer), a title conferred after a three-year course; the degree was known as bacharelato. In those times, a full chartered engineer (Engenheiro) in Portugal used to have a compulsory five-year course known as licenciatura which was granted exclusively by universities. Only engineers having the licenciatura diploma, graduated at the universities, were capacitated to develop any kind of project in engineering and were universally recognized by the Engineers Association of Portugal (Ordem dos Engenheiros).

Today, after many reforms and changes in higher education occurred since 1998 to the 2000s, the formal differences between [1].

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.