World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

International power

Article Id: WHEBN0000547057
Reproduction Date:

Title: International power  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Louis XVII of France
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

International power

This article is about the UK-based energy company. For the political concept, see Power in international relations.
International Power plc
Subsidiary
(Public limited company)
Industry Electricity
Founded 2000 (2000)
Headquarters London, United Kingdom
Key people Dirk Beeuwsaert (Chairman)
Philip Cox (CEO)
Products Electrical power
Revenue 16.167 billion (2011)[1]
Operating income €2.805 billion (2011)[1]
Net income €1.797 billion (2011)[1]
Parent GDF Suez
Website

International Power plc is a multinational electricity generation company headquartered in London, United Kingdom and a wholly owned subsidiary of GDF Suez.

International Power was formed in 2000 by the demerger of National Power. It was listed on the London Stock Exchange from 2000 to April 2012, and was a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index for most of that period. It had a market capitalisation of approximately £16.9 billion as of 23 December 2011, making it the 24th-largest company on the London Stock Exchange.[2] In February 2011, GDF Suez acquired a 70% interest in International Power.[3][4] The purchase of the remaining 30% was announced by GDF Suez in April 2012, and the transaction closed in July 2012.[5]

History

In 2000 National Power demerged its UK businesses as Innogy with the remainder of the business being renamed International Power. The Company was first listed on the London Stock Exchange on 2 October 2000.[6]

In August 2010 the company announced a tie-up with GDF Suez via a reverse takeover whereby GDF Suez transferred its Energy International Business Areas (outside Europe) and certain assets in the UK and Turkey to International Power in exchange for 70% of the stock of the combined entity.[7][3][4] The remaining 30% remained in the ownership of the existing International Power shareholders. The combination was completed on 3 February 2011 following approval by shareholders.[8]

In October 2010 MeyGen, a consortium of Morgan Stanley, Atlantis Resources Corporation and International Power, received an operational lease from the Crown Estate for a 400MW tidal power project for 25 years in the Pentland Firth.[9]

On 16 April 2012, GDF Suez announced the purchase of the remaining 30% of International Power and the transaction closed in July 2012.[5]

International Power has a pipeline of large projects in the emerging markets; namely South America, the Middle East, South-East Asia - representing approximately 13 GW generating capacity and expected to be completed between 2014 and 2017.[10] The purchase of IP will boost GDF Suez' presence in the growing energy demand regions.[5]

Operations

The Group has more than 66 GW of power generation (gross) in operation and 22GW gross capacity under construction.[11]

It is headquartered at Senator House, 85 Queen Victoria Street in the City of London.

References

External links

Companies portal

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.