World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Jeppesen Gymnasium

Article Id: WHEBN0020608746
Reproduction Date:

Title: Jeppesen Gymnasium  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 1946–47 Houston Cougars men's basketball team, 1945–46 Houston Cougars men's basketball team, Delmar Fieldhouse, Harry D. Payne, 2008–09 Houston Cougars men's basketball team
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Jeppesen Gymnasium

Jeppesen Gymnasium
Jeppesen Gymnasium prior to opening in 1942.
Former names Public School Fieldhouse (1942-1958)
Location Houston, Texas
Coordinates
Owner University of Houston
Capacity 2,500
Construction
Broke ground 1941
Opened 1942
Demolished March 1996
Architect Harry D. Payne
General contractor Fretz Construction Company
Tenants
Houston Cougars men's basketball (NCAA) (1946–1966)

Jeppesen Gymnasium, also known as Jeppesen Fieldhouse, was a multi-purpose sports facility on the campus of the University of Houston in Houston, Texas. The facility was the first home to the Houston Cougars men's basketball team, and later home to the Cougars women's volleyball team. Located next to Robertson Stadium, the facility was demolished in 1996 to make room for renovations of Robertson Stadium such as the scoreboard.[1]

Planning and construction

Prior to the construction of Robertson Stadium, the University of Houston campus had been built nearby in 1939. In the summer of 1941, construction began on Jeppesen Gymnasium as part of a joint project between the Works Progress Administration and the Houston Independent School District. It was constructed simultaneously with nearby Robertson Stadium.

Architecture and features

Designed by Harry D. Payne using an art deco design style, Jeppesen Gymnasium's structure consisted of two stories and a basement.[2] It was built of reinforced concrete and steel with masonry walls. Buttresses, columns, and steel trusses supported a sound-absorbing roof. On the south end of the structure were four entrances to a lobby that led to the basketball court itself.

References

  1. ^ Geluso, James (20 March 1996). "Field house, Cougar Cage to go". The Daily Cougar. Retrieved 9 December 2008. 
  2. ^ Writers' Program of the Work Projects Administration on the State of Texas (1942). Houston: A History and Guide. American Guide Series. The Anson Jones Press. p. 182.  
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.