World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Joelton Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030440691
Reproduction Date:

Title: Joelton Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 32d Air Division, Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-14 Radar, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar, MIT AN/CPS-4 Radar
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Joelton Air Force Station

Joelton Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Joelton AFS is located in Tennessee
Joelton AFS
Joelton AFS
Location of Joelton AFS, Tennessee
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1956
In use 1956-1960
Garrison information
Garrison 799th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Emblem of the 799th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron

Joelton Air Force Station (ADC ID: SM-145) is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 8.3 miles (13.4 km) west of Goodlettsville, Tennessee. It was closed in 1960.

History

Joelton Air Force Station (AFS) was initially part of Phase II of the Air Defense Command Mobile Radar program. The Air Force approved this expansion of the Mobile Radar program on October 23, 1952 to provide radar coverage of the Nashville, TN area. Radars in this network were designated “SM.”

The station became operational on 1 October 1956 when the 799th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron began operating an AN/MPS-11 search radar and an AN/TPS-10D height-finder radar. Eventually these sets were replaced by more-modern AN/FPS-6 height-finder radar and AN/FPS-8 search radar sets. Initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes.

In addition to the main facility, Guthrie operated an unmanned AN/FPS-18 Gap Filler site:

  • Bradyville, TN (SM-145A)

Joelton AFS was closed on 1 June 1961 due to budgetary constraints. However, the FAA retained the radar, replacing the search radar with an ARSR-1E model. The FAA continues to operate the site as part of the Joint Surveillance System (JSS). Most of the Air Force buildings remain and are in use; the housing area is now private residences.

Air Force units and assignments

Units

  • Constituted as the 799th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Activated at Wright-Patterson AFB (SM-170), OH on 8 February 1956[1]
Moved to Joelton AFS on 1 October 1956
Discontinued and inactivated on 1 June 1961

Assignments

See also

References

Notes

  1. ^ Mueller, Air Force Bases, Vol. I, p. 610

Bibliography

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

Further Reading

  • Grant, C.L., (1961) The Development of Continental Air Defense to 1 September 1954, USAF Historical Study No. 126
  • Radomes.org Information for Joelton AFS, TN
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.