World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

John J. Carty Park

Article Id: WHEBN0026883606
Reproduction Date:

Title: John J. Carty Park  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Gorman Park, Playground 52, Willowbrook Park, Fulton Park, Hell's Kitchen Park
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

John J. Carty Park

John J. Carty Park is located in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. It is also known as Rubber Park. This park honors John J. Carty (1909–1970), a native of Bay Ridge, Brooklyn who lived his life only five blocks away and dedicated himself to New York City government for 32 years.

Rubber Park was opened in 1964 and was one of the first parks in New York City to have rubber matting under the children's’ equipment thus the name of Rubber Park. Rubber Park has been the home of numerous groups of kids and teens since its opening.

John J. Carty Park, located between 94th and 101st Streets and Fort Hamilton Parkway, was named by Local Law in 1971. The Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority (TBTA) developed both the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge (1965) and this park concurrently thanks to a 1956 federal grant. The playground section of the park contains benches, a large comfort station, numerous game tables, two drinking fountains, and a flagpole with a yardarm on a monument base. Play areas consist of red, yellow, green, and white play equipment with safety surfacing, a spray shower, tot and regular swings, basketball and handball courts, and a large asphalt play area. The additional park area, which is surrounded by a variety of trees, has a multitude of benches as well as picnic tables, a bocce court, and ten tennis courts. The area provides recreational activities for all. The park covers over ten acres and has been home to dances, concerts, and picnics.

The park is also the home of the Fort Hamilton Senior Center. With over 700 members, Fort Hamilton Senior Center serves as a lively gathering place for senior citizens throughout Brooklyn. The center has a card room, library, dance and recreation room, an arts and crafts room, and a computer room. Established in 1966 under the TBTA’s neighborhood improvement plan, the center officially opened on January 20, 1967.

External links

  • http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/B210W/


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.