World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

John Norton, 5th Baron Grantley

Article Id: WHEBN0018897490
Reproduction Date:

Title: John Norton, 5th Baron Grantley  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Father of the House, Caroline Norton, John Norton, Guildford Castle, Archibald Kennedy, 3rd Marquess of Ailsa
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

John Norton, 5th Baron Grantley

John Richard Brinsley Norton, 5th Baron Grantley, FSA, FRNS (1 October 1855 – 5 August 1943) was a British peer and numismatist.

Norton was born in Florence, Italy, the son of Thomas Norton, 4th Baron Grantley and his wife, Maria, née Federigo, and a grandson of Caroline Norton, the writer, and was educated at Harrow School and the University of Dresden. He inherited his father's title in 1877 and was sometime a captain in the Middlesex Yeomanry.

Grantley was a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London, the Royal Numismatic Society and the British Numismatic Society. He assembled a large collection of coins and also grew orchids. His country seats were Weeke Manor in Winchester and Markenfield Hall in Ripon. He also owned Elton Manor in Nottinghamshire for a time, but seems hardly to have lived there.[1] He purchased the Red Rice estate in 1913.

In 1879, Grantley married Katharine Buckner Norton, née McVickar (died 1897), the ex-wife of his cousin, Charles Grantley Campbell Norton. He married secondly, in 1899, Alice Jones (died 1942), the illegitimate daughter of Thomas Heron Jones, 7th Viscount Ranelagh. On his death in a London nursing home in 1943, his titles passed to his eldest son by his first marriage, The Hon. Richard Henry Brinsley Norton.

Source

Honorary titles
Preceded by
The Marquess of Ailsa
Father of the House of Lords
1938–1943
Succeeded by
The Lord Romilly
Peerage of Great Britain
Preceded by
Thomas Norton
Baron Grantley
1877–1943
Succeeded by
Richard Norton

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.