World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

John Slezak

John Slezak (1896–1984) was United States Under Secretary of the Army from 1954 to 1955.

Biography

John Slezak was born in Stará Turá, Austria–Hungary (in modern Slovakia) on April 18, 1896. After immigrating to the United States in 1916, Slezak enlisted in the United States Army in 1917 and was posted to the Rock Island Arsenal, where he became head of a department in the small arms division. In 1919, he enrolled at the University of Wisconsin–Madison and received a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering in 1923. He worked as a mechanical engineer at Western Electric from 1923 to 1930. In September 1924, he was appointed a Second Lieutenant in the United States Army Reserve, serving as an ordnance officer. In 1930, he became president of the Turner Brass Works in Sycamore, Illinois, a position he held until 1953.

With the U.S.'s entry into World War II, Slezak became a Major in the United States Army. He was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in 1942 and Colonel in 1943. He spent 47 months with the Chicago Ordnance District, first as Deputy District Chief, then as Chief of the Industrial Division, and finally as District Chief. For his war service, Slezak was awarded the Legion of Merit in 1944; the Oak Leaf Cluster in 1946; and the American Campaign Medal and the World War II Victory Medal. After the war, as a civilian, Slezak helped to establish the machine tool division of the Army-Navy Munitions Board.

In 1948, Slezak became president and chairman of the board of the Pheoil Manufacturing Company in Chicago. He served as director of the National Association of Manufacturers 1952-53.

In 1953, President of the United States Dwight D. Eisenhower nominated Slezak as Assistant Secretary of the Army (Materiel) and he subsequently held this post from May 4, 1953 until February 7, 1954. Eisenhower then nominated

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.