World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kapowsin, Washington

Article Id: WHEBN0003549801
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kapowsin, Washington  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pierce County, Washington, Bethel School District (Washington), McMillin, Washington, North Fort Lewis, Washington, McKenna, Washington
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Kapowsin, Washington

Kapowsin
census-designated place (CDP)
Kapowsin is located in Washington (state)
Kapowsin
Location within the state of Washington
Coordinates:
Country United States
State Washington
County Pierce
Population (2010)
 • Total 333
Time zone Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)
 • Summer (DST) PDT (UTC-7)

Kapowsin is a census-designated place located approximately 25 miles (38 kilometers) southeast of Tacoma in Pierce County, Washington, United States. The 2010 Census placed the population at 333.

Kapowsin was founded in 1901 when the Kapowsin Lumber Company built a sawmill at the community's present site.[1] Located on the north end of Lake Kapowsin, the community was a thriving lumber town in the early part of the 20th century, with a high school, shops, and trades, and a population of about 10,000. After a decline in the timber industry, the town diminished in size into a neighborhood center, with a store, tavern, post office (US ZIP code 98344), fire station and grange hall. Kapowsin High School was abandoned in 1949 after being damaged in an earthquake.

Kapowsin is located partially in the Bethel School District and partially in the Eatonville School District, and Kapowsin Elementary School is located nearby. Secondary students attend Frontier Junior High and Graham-Kapowsin High School, which opened in 2005. Tacoma Rail's freight line to Morton, Washington, runs through the town.

References

  1. ^ Majors, Harry M. (1975). Exploring Washington. Van Winkle Publishing Co. p. 122.  


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.