World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kaw Point

Article Id: WHEBN0007929968
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kaw Point  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Kansas City metropolitan area, Timeline of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, Kansas River, Geography of Kansas City, Kansas, Missouri River 340
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Kaw Point

Kaw Point from the west
Kansas City, Missouri skyline from Kaw Point

Kaw point is the name given to the point where the Kansas River terminates at the Missouri River in the West Bottoms area of Kansas City, Kansas.

History

Kaw Point was part of the land originally claimed by Spain, then by France, until ultimately the United States bought it as part of the Louisiana Purchase in 1803. The Lewis and Clark expedition party camped at Kaw Point June 26–28, 1804, on their way from St. Louis to the Pacific Ocean.

Captain William Clark wrote on June 27, 1804, that "the Countrey about the mouth of this river is verry fine." The expedition's journals also noted that the location would be appropriate for a fort, and that the area teemed with deer, elk, buffalo, bear, and many "Parrot queets", the now extinct Carolina parakeet. It is the original reason for the location of the Kansas City Metropolitan Area.

At 94 degrees 36 minutes west longitude, Kaw Point was the basis for the state of Missouri's western border from Iowa to Arkansas when it became a state in 1821. (Kansas entered the Union in 1861.) South of the Missouri River, that longitude still forms the border between Kansas and Missouri. North of the Missouri River, the state of Missouri extended its boundary farther to the west in 1836 with the Platte Purchase.

Kaw Point became part of Kansas Territory in 1854 when the United States Congress passed the Kansas-Nebraska Act, which opened the area for white settlement. In 1859 the city of Wyandotte, which included Kaw Point, was incorporated. Kaw Point became part of Kansas City, Kansas as part of the consolidation of 1886.

Today, the point is the site of Kaw Point Riverfront Park.

External links

  • Kaw Point Satellite View
  • Lewis and Clark in Wyandotte County Kaw Point page

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.