World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Keeseville Historic District

Article Id: WHEBN0022977279
Reproduction Date:

Title: Keeseville Historic District  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: National Register of Historic Places listings in New York
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Keeseville Historic District

Keeseville Historic District
The 1823 Richard Keese II house in Keeseville
Keeseville Historic District
Location Roughly bounded by Vine, Chesterfield, Clinton, Hill, Pleasant, Front, and Beech Sts., Keeseville, New York
Coordinates

44°30′16″N 73°28′58″W / 44.50444°N 73.48278°W / 44.50444; -73.48278Coordinates: 44°30′16″N 73°28′58″W / 44.50444°N 73.48278°W / 44.50444; -73.48278

Area 76 acres (31 ha)
Built 1820
Architectural style Italianate, Gothic Revival, Classical Revival
Governing body Private
MPS Keeseville Village MRA
NRHP Reference #

83001666

[1]
Added to NRHP May 20, 1983

The Keeseville Historic District is a historic district listed on the National Register of Historic Places containing 142 historic structures in Keeseville, in Essex and Clinton counties in New York, in the United States. The buildings, built between 1820 and 1936, are concentrated on the streets near the Ausable River, which runs through the center of the village.

The district contains well-preserved examples of industrial and commercial buildings, working-class houses, entrepreneurs' residences, and two historic bridges spanning the Ausable River which divides the village and is the border between Essex and Clinton counties. Keeseville's architectural heritage includes regional examples of Classical, Gothic Revival, and Italianate design, many designed and built by noted local craftsmen Seneca and Isaac Perry, along with more modest structures; many of the structures are built of local river sandstone. In its historic setting and in the quality and variety of its historic structures, the Keeseville Historic District typifies the Adirondack water-powered mill community of the period 1820-1890.[2]

It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.[1]

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.