World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Killeen Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030455823
Reproduction Date:

Title: Killeen Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-14 Radar, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar, MIT AN/CPS-4 Radar, 4722d Air Defense Group
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Killeen Air Force Station

Killeen Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Killeen AFS is located in Texas
Killeen AFS
Killeen AFS
Location of Killeen AFS, Texas
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1957
In use 1957-1961
Garrison information
Garrison 814th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron

Killeen Air Force Station (ADC ID: TM-192) is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 9.2 miles (14.8 km) west-southwest of Killeen, Texas. It was closed in 1961.

History

Killeen Air Force Station came into existence as part of Phase III of the Air Defense Command (ADC) Mobile Radar program. On October 20, 1953, ADC requested a third phase of twenty-five radar sites be constructed. It was constructed on the existing Robert Gray AFB to provide radar protection for the Fort Hood area.

The 814th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron was moved to Killeen AFS on 14 February 1957. It operated AN/FPS-20 search radar and an AN/FPS-6 height-finder radars at the station, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes.

In addition to the main facility, Killeen operated two AN/FPS-18 Gap Filler sites between April and December 1960:

  • Schulenburg, Texas (TM-192B):
  • Normangee, Texas (TM-192C):

Killeen was inactivated 1 February 1961 due to budgetary cuts. Today most of the site is unused, but maintained by Fort Hood with most of the buildings being torn down. A radio tower is now on the site. The circular concrete foundation for the AN/FPS-20A search radar tower is clearly visible in aerial imagery.

Air Force units and assignments

Units

  • Constituted as the 814th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Activated on 8 May 1956 at Oklahoma City AFS, OK (not manned or equipped)
Moved to Killeen AFS on 14 February 1957
Discontinued and inactivated on 1 February 1961

Assignments

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.