World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

King's Highway Historic District (New Jersey)

 

King's Highway Historic District (New Jersey)

King's Highway Historic District
The Battle of Princeton
The route of the King's Highway Historic District
Location U.S. Route 206 from mile marker 48.30 to 53.90 and New Jersey Route 27 from mile marker 0.0 to 4.10
Coordinates
Area 81 acres (33 ha)
Built 1660-1950
Architect Multiple
Governing body State
NRHP Reference # 00001493
NJRHP # 353[1]
Significant dates
Added to NRHP December 21, 2000
Designated NJRHP October 23, 2000

The King's Highway Historic District covers the portions of U.S. Route 206 and New Jersey Route 27 in New Jersey that connect Lawrenceville with Kingston through Princeton. This historic roadway dates to colonial times and was a portion of the King's Highway that was laid out by order of Charles II of England to connect Boston with Charleston. It is lined with many institutions and sites that have played an important role in the History of the United States, including Princeton University and the Princeton Theological Seminary.

Along the road can be found five National Historic Landmarks, the Lawrenceville School, Morven, Maclean House, Nassau Hall, and the Joseph Henry House. The highway also runs through eight historic districts, from west to east, Lawrence Township Historic District, Princeton Battlefield / Stony Brook Village Historic District, Princeton Historic District, Jugtown Historic District, Kingston Mill Historic District, Lake Carnegie Historic District, Delaware and Raritan Canal Historic District, and the Kingston Village Historic District. The governor's mansion of New Jersey, Drumthwacket, independently listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is found on the road in the western part of Princeton.[2]

Gallery

See Also

References

  1. ^ "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places — Mercer County" (PDF).  
  2. ^ Greiff, Constance. "King's Highway Historic District" (PDF). National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.