World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kintetsu Hachiōji Line

Article Id: WHEBN0010911677
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kintetsu Hachiōji Line  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Kintetsu Suzuka Line, Kintetsu Yunoyama Line, Kintetsu Toba Line, Kintetsu, Ekimae Station
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Kintetsu Hachiōji Line

     Kintetsu Hachiōji Line
Narrow gauge train at Nishihino Station
Type Commuter rail
Locale Yokkaichi, Mie Prefecture
Termini Hinaga
Stations 2
Opening August 15, 1912
Operator(s) Kintetsu
Line length 1.3 km (0.81 mi)
No. of tracks 1
Track gauge 762 mm (2 ft 6 in)
Electrification 750 V DC Overhead line
Route map

All lines are Kintetsu unless otherwise noted

Up Nagoya Line
Left Yunoyama Line
Right Nagoya Line
Left Yunoyama-Utsube link - Closed 1964
Down Utsube Line
Minami-HamadaClosed 1944
0.0 Hinaga
Left Hachiōji Line
Down Utsube Line
0.6 HigashihinoClosed 1952, Abandoned 1969
1.3 Nishihino (II)
1.5 Nishihino (I)
1.8 ShimizubashiClosed 1952, Abandoned 1969
2.3 MuroyamaClosed 1974, Abandoned 1976
3.0 Ise-HachiōjiClosed 1974, Abandoned 1976

The Kintetsu Hachiōji Line (近鉄八王子線 Kintetsu Hachiōji-sen), often called the Kintetsu Nishihino Line (近鉄西日野線 Kintetsu Nishihino-sen) is a 762 mm (2 ft 6 in) narrow gauge railway line operated by the Japanese private railway company Kintetsu, connecting Hinaga Station and Nishihino Station, both in the city of Yokkaichi, Mie, Japan. With a total length of 1.3 km, it is the shortest of all the Kintetsu train lines.

The line connects with the Kintetsu Utsube Line at Hinaga. Because all trains on the Hachiōji Line offer direct service to Kintetsu-Yokkaichi via the Utsube Line, the two lines are collectively called the Utsube-Hachiōji Line (内部・八王子線 Utsube-Hachiōji-sen).

The line is called the "Hachiōji Line" because it originally ran to Ise-Hachiōji Station, however for many years the endpoint has been Nishihino.

Unlike major Kintetsu lines, the line does not accept PiTaPa or ICOCA which are smart card ticketing systems.

Narrow gauge railway

The line was originally built as a tram utilising a track gauge of 762mm, which was relatively common at that time for such local lines. Later on the legal classification of the line was changed from a tram to a light rail, however the gauge was not widened, unlike the majority of 762mm gauge lines. Today, there are only four 762 mm (2 ft 6 in) gauge train lines in operation in Japan, and the Hachiōji Line is both the oldest and shortest of those four.

762 mm railways of Japan


"Local" (普通 Futsū) services stop at every station.
All trains are wanman driver only operation.
Trains run twice per hour in both directions.


Station Distance (km) Transfers Location
Hinaga 日永 0.0 Kintetsu Utsube Line Yokkaichi Mie Prefecture
Nishihino 西日野 1.3


The Hachiōji Line was built in 1912 and, like the Kintetsu Utsube Line, is one of Kintetsu's oldest train lines. The Hachiōji Line was actually built first, but became a branch line after the original section of what is now the much longer Utsube Line was opened later the same year. Steam engines ran on the line for many years until 1928 when gasoline-powered trains were introduced, which ran until the line was electrified in 1948.

Ownership of the line has shifted a few times during its existence. Mie Tramway built the line but control was given to Mie Railway (Santetsu) shortly after in 1916. Then in 1944, Santetsu, along with six other companies, merged to form Kintetsu the following year, and thus in 1965 the line came under its current name and ownership.

Flood damage

As the line's official name indicates, Nishihino is not the original terminus. When the line was built it was 2.8 kilometers in length and extended past Nishihino and terminated in Yokkaichi's Hachiōji neighborhood and for over 60 years, trains went all the way to Ise-Hachiōji Station. However, in 1974, there was an especially heavy rainstorm that flooded the Tempaku River which runs right alongside the line. The track suffered from severe water damage and the entire line was temporarily shut down for repairs. The track was repaired only as far as Nishihino, and the rest of the line was abandoned. The remainder of the line, only 1.3 kilometers long, was reopened in 1976.

Because so many years have passed since the endpoint was changed to Nishihino, younger generations primarily refer to the line as the Nishihino Line, a name that is even used by some Kintetsu train conductors.


  • August 15, 1912 - Hinaga to Ise-Hachiōji sections opens (Mie Tramway).
  • July 19, 1916 - Control of line is transferred to Mie Railway (Santetsu).
  • December 1, 1916 - Based on train-related laws, the line's classification is officially changed from a tram to a light railway.
  • March 1, 1928 - Gasoline-powered trains introduced.
  • February 11, 1944 - Santetsu and six other companies merge to form Mie Transport (Sanco). Line becomes part of the Sanco Mie Line.
  • September 10, 1948 - Entire line electrified.
  • February 1, 1964 - Sanco railway division splits off and forms a new company named Mie Electric Railway (Sanden).
  • April 1, 1965 - Sanden, and all of its lines, are acquired by Kintetsu. Line officially renamed Kintetsu Hachiōji Line.
  • July 25, 1974 - Operation on entire line is suspended due to flood damage.
  • April 1, 1976 - After repairs, Hinaga to Nishihino section reopens. Nishihino to Ise-Hachiōji permanently closes.

Closure plans

In August 2012, Kintetsu announced its wishes to close both the Utsube and Hachioji Lines, with plans to convert the trackbed into a dedicated bus route. The two lines together lose approximately ¥300 million annually. It has since been announced that Kintetsu will transfer operation of these lines to the Yokkaichi City Government in 2015.[1]


  • Kintetsu Line Archives - Hachiōji Line (Japanese)
  1. ^ 近鉄:内部線・八王子線の鉄路廃止、跡地にバス運行 三重. Mainichi jp (in Japanese). Japan: The Mainichi Newspapers. 22 August 2012. Retrieved 2 September 2012. 

External links

  • Kintetsu railway network map - Hachiōji Line
  • Hisakyu - Kintetsu Hachiōji Line
  • Main Terminal - Kintetsu Hachiōji Line (Japanese)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.