World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Le Sers Airfield

Article Id: WHEBN0023638999
Reproduction Date:

Title: Le Sers Airfield  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Termini Airfield, Dar el Koudia Airfield, Marnia Airfield, Saint-Leu Airfield, Solonzara Airfield
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Le Sers Airfield

Le Sers Airfield
Part of Twelfth Air Force
Coordinates
Type Military airfield
Site information
Controlled by United States Army Air Forces
Site history
Built 1943
In use 1943
Le Sers Airfield is located in Tunisia
Le Sers Airfield
Le Sers Airfield
Location of Le Sers Airfield, Tunisia

Le Sers Airfield is an abandoned World War II military airfield in Tunisia, about 3 km of As Sars; 130 km southwest of Tunis. It was a temporary airfield constructed by Army Engineers using compacted earth for its runway, parking and dispersal areas, not designed for heavy aircraft or for long term use. The prevailing temperatures in the area are some of the hottest in the world, making steel planking unsuitable for airfield use.

Its last known use was by the United States Army Air Force Twelfth Air Force in 1943 during the North African Campaign. The 31st Fighter Group flew Supermarine Spitfires from the airfield between 12 April and 15 May; the 52d Fighter Group flew P-40 Warhawks between 14 April and 21 May.

The fighter units out after the Tunisian Campaign ended to airfields closer to the coast and the airfield was closed and the airfield was dismantled. Today, there are no remaining traces of the airfield as the area around the town of As Sars consists largely of agricultural fields, which has obliterated much of the airfield. Today the remains of a runway are visible from satellite imagery.

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer. Air Force Combat Units of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1983. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.