World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Lim Chu Kang

Article Id: WHEBN0001172239
Reproduction Date:

Title: Lim Chu Kang  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Neo Tiew, Western Water Catchment, List of islands of Singapore, Changi East, Defu
Collection: Lim Chu Kang, Places in Singapore, West Region, Singapore, Western Water Catchment
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Lim Chu Kang

Lim Chu Kang
Name transcription(s)
 • Chinese 林厝港
 • Pinyin Líncuògǎng
 • Hokkien POJ Lîm-chhù-káng
 • Malay Lim Chu Kang
 • Tamil லிம் சூ காங்
Country Singapore

Lim Chu Kang is a planning area located in the northwestern part of Singapore.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Today 2
    • Ama Keng Chinese Temple 2.1
    • Lim Chu Kang Rural Centre 2.2
  • Bus routes 3
  • References 4

History

Lim Chu Kang Village was founded by Neo Ao Tiew (Chinese: 梁后宙; born 1884, died 1975), a Chinese immigrant who was the sheriff of the village. The village is on the banks of the Sungei Kranji and was controlled by the Lim clan. Neo Tiew also set up a primary school and health centre in the village. Neo Tiew Road is named after him. The area was originally noted for its numerous pepper and gambier plantations. Later there were rubber plantations, e.g. Namazie-Cashin rubber estates.

Today

Today, Lim Chu Kang is still largely rural and serves as a water catchment area with the four reservoirs of Sarimbun, Murai, Poyan and Tengeh which is part of the SAFTI live firing area. Lim Chu Kang have served two main roads very often and common, known as Lim Chu Kang Road and Old Choa Chu Kang Road. As this area is still undeveloped, it has a lot of military training areas, agriculture, farms, have the only remaining cemeteries in Singapore (due to exhumations to others to make way for new developments) and a major columbarium. There are also side-roads, like Jalan Sungei Poyan, Lim Chu Kang Road Track 11/13 and Jalan Bahtera, and including roads that are not listed on Street Directory but on Google Earth satellite imagery (due to MINDEF secrecy, such as the old Kampong Berih Road).

Ama Keng Chinese Temple

The Ama Keng Chinese Temple in Lim Chu Kang was built in 1900 to worship the holy mother, a goddess of peace and happiness. Ama means "grandmother" in Teochew and Hokkien, and keng means "temple". The first temple was made of attap. The temple was renovated in 1943 with a zinc roof and timber. In 1965, it was redeveloped with a tiled roof, and the renovations cost S$16,000. The temple holds wayang performances a few times a year.

Lim Chu Kang Rural Centre

The small public housing estate, the Lim Chu Kang Rural Centre, at Neo Tiew Road was vacated in 2002 under the Selective En Bloc Redevelopment Scheme (SERS), of which the residents had been moved to Blocks 268A-268C Boon Lay Drive in Jurong West. The abandoned flats were used as SAF training facility from 2004 to 2009 until the new Murai Urban Training Facility opened in September 2008. Its current fate is unknown as of 27 November 2011. In 2012 however, the site was used for the shooting of a war scene in the film, Ah Boys to Men.

Bus routes

These Buses ply along Lim Chu Kang/Sungei Kadut/Neo Tiew Road:

Service Between And Notes
SMRT Buses Trunk Services
172 Choa Chu Kang Bus Interchange Boon Lay Bus Interchange
925 Choa Chu Kang Bus Interchange Woodlands Regional Bus Interchange Operates on Weekdays and Saturdays only.
925C Woodlands Regional Bus Interchange Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve (loop) Operates on Sundays and Public Holidays only.
975 Bukit Panjang Bus Interchange Lim Chu Kang Bus Terminal (loop)
SBS Transit Trunk Services
405 Boon Lay Bus Interchange Choa Chu Kang Road End (loop) Operates only on some festive holidays.
Kranji Express
KE Kranji MRT Station Kranji Countryside See this website [1].

References

  • Victor R Savage, Brenda S A Yeoh (2003), Toponymics - A Study of Singapore Street Names, Eastern Universities Press, ISBN 981-210-205-1


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.