World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Llanarmon, Gwynedd

Article Id: WHEBN0022481313
Reproduction Date:

Title: Llanarmon, Gwynedd  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: John Owen (epigrammatist), Llŷn Peninsula, Llangybi, Gwynedd, Llanarmon
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Llanarmon, Gwynedd

Coordinates: 52°55′41″N 4°20′49″W / 52.928°N 4.34706°W / 52.928; -4.34706

Llanarmon

Llanarmon Church
Gwynedd
OS grid reference SH4338
Community Llanarmon
Principal area Gwynedd
Ceremonial county Gwynedd
Country Wales
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town PWLLHELI
Postcode district LL53
Dialling code 01766
Police North Wales
Fire North Wales
Ambulance Welsh
EU Parliament Wales
UK Parliament Caernarfon
Welsh Assembly Dwyfor Meirionnydd
List of places
UK
Wales
Gwynedd

Llanarmon (English: Garmon's Church) is a small village and former civil parish in the old commote of Eifionydd and Cantref Dunoding in the Welsh county of Gwynedd. The parish was abolished in 1934 and incorporated into Llanystumdwy.[1] The village lies 4 miles (6.4 km) north east of Pwllheli and is close to the village of Llangybi; a holy well; and the mountain of Carn Pentrych. A well preserved 15th century manor house at Penarth Fawr is maintained by Cadw,[2] and another ancient monument Plas Du (Welsh: Black Place) is a well preserved, substantial sub-medieval gentry house.[3] It also has important historical associations; it was known as the centre of the Roman Catholic faith in the region and was the home of Thomas Owen, High Sheriff of Caernarfonshire from 1569, who was imprisoned for sheltering missionary priests in the house in 1571.

"The village is pleasantly situated in a fertile plain, and the neighbour-hood partakes of the pleasing scenery which prevails in this part of the country. The living is a rectory not in charge, annexed to that of Llangybi, in the archdeaconry of Merioneth, and diocese of Bangor, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church, dedicated to Saint Garmon, is an ancient and spacious structure in good repair : some additional windows have lately been inserted, previously to which alteration the interior was very dark."

Samuel Lewis, Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833)



References


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.