World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

LoCO2 Energy

Article Id: WHEBN0040238563
Reproduction Date:

Title: LoCO2 Energy  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Melrose Resources, Franco-British Nuclear Forum, Meter operator, Coal Authority, Registered power zone
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

LoCO2 Energy

Type: Utility company
Founded: 2009
Key people: Dr Bob Middleton (Founder; Chief Executive)
Products: Electricity and Gas
Headquarters: Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire
Website: www.loco2energy.com

LoCO2 Energy Ltd. is an independent renewable energy and low-carbon electricity supplier based in Hertfordshire, England. They supply electricity and gas to domestic and business accounts across England, Wales and Scotland. Their electricity generation comes from a wide range of low carbon sources, including their own micro-hydro projects and a range of independent renewable generators.

History

LoCO2 Energy was established in 2009 by Dr Bob Middleton as the retail arm of a vertically integrated group of energy companies under the TradeLink Solutions umbrella.[1] He had previously spent twenty years working in oil and electricity, specialising in the commercial energy market and negotiating key contracts behind some the UK’s newest energy developments.

In 1997, Dr Middleton set up the energy consultancy TradeLink Solutions who advise developers, farmers and landowners on securing commercial solutions for their renewable energy projects. They offer services in Power Purchase Agreements, energy brokerage, regulatory compliance, trading of Renewables Obligation certificates and as a voluntary Feed-in tariff licensee.

Two years later Dr Middleton began TLS Hydropower, who develop and operate a portfolio of micro-hydro projects across the UK. These sites generate renewable electricity, some of which feeds into the LoCO2 Energy portfolio.

The three companies mean the group is vertically integrated across the electricity market; covering generation, trading and the selling of renewable electricity.

Domestic tariffs

LoCO2 Energy offers three green electricity tariffs to domestic accounts. Each tariff varies in the percentage of renewable energy used in its fuel mix from a low carbon offering, which is 20% renewable, to a tariff which is 100% renewable using only naturally replenished sources.[2]

Business tariffs

LoCO2 Energy also has two SME business tariffs. The Business Green Tariff uses 100% renewable energy, sourced from hydro and wind. The Business Low Carbon Tariff is 20% renewable while the remainder comes from conventional gas generation.[3]

Fuel mix

LoCO2 Energy’s overall company fuel mix for 2011/12 saw 45% generated from renewables, with the other 55% coming from natural gas. Many of LoCO2 Energy’s customers opt for their economy low-carbon Pocket tariff, meaning there is a proportion of natural gas in the company fuel mix.[4]

Awards and recognition

In July 2013, Ethical Consumer Magazine voted LoCO2 Energy’s ‘Planet’ and ‘Pocket Plus’ tariffs the second most ethical tariffs in the UK energy market. All three tariff choices were voted inside the top 10.[5]

In 2013, [6]

References

  1. ^
  2. ^
  3. ^
  4. ^
  5. ^
  6. ^
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.