World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

London Underground E Stock

E Stock
In service 1914–1958
Manufacturer GRC&W
Specifications
Car length 49 ft (14.94 m)
Width 8 ft 9 12 in (2.68 m)
Height 12 ft 3 14 in (3.74 m)
Weight 33.16 long tons (33.69 t; 37.14 short tons)
Seating 48
Notes
London Transport portal

The London Underground E Stock were steel-bodied cars built for the London Underground in 1914 by the Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Company.

Thirty cars were built, twenty-six driving motor cars and four trailers. The E stock was based on the earlier C Stock and D Stock but differed in that the roof was elliptical rather than the clerestory roof of the C Stock and D Stock.

In the 1940s the C, D and E stocks were reclassified as "H Stock" (signifying hand-operated doors), along with other pre-1938 District Line rolling stock that had not been converted to have air-operated doors. The H Stock was largely eliminated by the early 1950s, following replacement by R Stock. The remaining cars were largely confined to the Olympia shuttle service. The last example was withdrawn in 1958; no E Stock car has been preserved.

They were generally similar in appearance to the B Stock, except that the E Stock had an elliptical roof.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.