World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Luther Merritt Swygert

Luther Merritt Swygert (February 5, 1905 – March 16, 1988) was a United States federal judge.

Born in Miami County, Ohio, Swygert received an LL.B. from Notre Dame Law School in 1927. He was in private practice in Indiana from 1928 to 1931, and was then a deputy prosecuting attorney of Lake County, Indiana from 1931 to 1933. He was an assistant U.S. Attorney of the Northern District of Indiana from 1934 to 1943.

On September 29, 1943, Swygert was nominated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt to a seat on the United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana vacated by Thomas W. Slick. Swygert was confirmed by the United States Senate on October 14, 1943, and received his commission on October 16, 1943. He served as chief judge from 1954 to 1961.

On September 18, 1961, President John F. Kennedy nominated Swygert for elevation to a new seat on the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, created by 75 Stat. 80. Swygert was again confirmed by the United States Senate on September 23, 1961, and received his commission on September 29, 1961. He served as chief judge from 1970 to 1975. He assumed senior status on July 1, 1981 serving in that capacity until his death.

Sources

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.