World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Lyndonville Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030321274
Reproduction Date:

Title: Lyndonville Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 32d Air Division, Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-14 Radar, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar, MIT AN/CPS-4 Radar
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Lyndonville Air Force Station

Lyndonville Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Lyndonville AFS is located in Vermont
Lyndonville AFS
Lyndonville AFS
Location of Lyndonville AFS, Vermont
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1956
In use 1956-1964
Garrison information
Garrison 911th Aircraft Control and Warning (later Radar) Squadron
Emblem of the 911th Radar Squadron

Lyndonville Air Force Station (ADC ID: M-103) is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 14.6 miles (23.5 km) northeast of Lyndonville, Vermont. It was closed in 1963.

History

Initially known as North Concord AFS, the station was part of the planned deployment of forty-four Mobile radar stations by Air Defense Command in 1952 to provide protection for Strategic Air Command Bases and to support the permanent deployment of the seventy-five stations of the ADC radar network around the perimeter of the country. This deployment had been projected to be operational by mid-1952. Funding, constant site changes, construction, and equipment delivery delayed deployment.

North Concord became operational on 1 March 1956 when the 911th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron activated AN/MPS-11 and AN/MPS-14 radars, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes.

In 1958 an AN/FPS-6A height-finder radar joined the site. In 1959 the 911th briefly operated an AN/FPS-3 radar. During 1959 North Concord AFS joined the Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) system, feeding data to DC-05 at Topsham AFS, Maine. After joining, the squadron was redesignated as the 911th Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 1 October 1959. The radar squadron provided information 24/7 the SAGE Direction Center where it was analyzed to determine range, direction altitude speed and whether or not aircraft were friendly or hostile. In August 1962 the station was switched to the SAGE Data Center DC-02 at Stewart AFB, New York.

On 1 March 1962 the station was renamed Lyndonville AFS, and later that year new radar towers were constructed to house an AN/FPS-27 search radar and an AN/FPS-26 height-finder radar. In early 1963 the AN/FPS-26 radar was installed. However, in March 1963 the Air Force ordered the site to close. The AN/FPS-27 installation was then cancelled. Operations ceased on 1 August 1963.

Today, the site sits abandoned with all of its towers still standing, and many buildings in various states of disrepair but still intact. The housing area is currently in use, in fact, the town of East Haven, Vermont (5.8 mi East), has grown up around it.

Air Force units and assignments

Units

  • Established as the 911th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron"
Activated at Syracuse AFS (P-5), NY on 26 May 1953 (not manned or equipped)
Moved to North Concord AFS (later Lyndonville AFS), VT on 1 March 1956
Redesignated: 911th Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 1 October 1959
Discontinued and inactivated on 1 August 1963

Assignments:

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.