Lytham (Station Road) railway station

Lytham
Location
Place Station Road, Lytham St Annes
Area Fylde
Coordinates

53°44′18″N 2°57′24″W / 53.7384°N 2.9566°W / 53.7384; -2.9566Coordinates: 53°44′18″N 2°57′24″W / 53.7384°N 2.9566°W / 53.7384; -2.9566

Operations
Original company Preston and Wyre Joint Railway
Pre-grouping Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway / London and North Western Railway
Platforms 2
History
16 February 1846 Opened
1 July 1874 Closed to passengers
Unknown date Closed to goods
Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom
Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
UK Railways portal

The original Lytham railway station was the Lytham terminus of a branch of the Preston and Wyre Joint Railway from Kirkham in Lancashire, England. It opened, along with the branch, on 16 February 1846; the road it was located in became known as Station Road. It was built in a Renaissance style from Longridge stone. A branch was also built to the dock at Lytham Pool.

In 1863, the Blackpool and Lytham Railway opened a separate line to its own station in Ballam Road, Lytham.

By 1874, both lines were owned jointly by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway and the London and North Western Railway. Ballam Road station was rebuilt as a through station and a connecting line was built to join the other line east of Lytham. The original station in Station Road was then closed to passengers, but continued to be used as a goods station for many decades, and was still in use in the 1960s.

A fire station now occupies the site.

References

Maps showing
Lytham (old) Station
Old OS Maps (estimated 1925 to 1945)
NPE Maps (1947)
Vision of Britain  
OS 1:2500 Map on MARIO (about 1892)
OS 1:10000 Map on MARIO (about 1848)
Other maps

53°44′18″N 2°57′24″W / 53.7384°N 2.9566°W / 53.7384; -2.9566

  • Welch, M.S. (2004) Lancashire Steam Finale, Runpast Publishing, Cheltenham, ISBN 1-870754-61-1, p.29
  • Hughes, R.V. (1931), “Early Coast travel”, LMS Magazine, Feb. 1931, accessed online 18 October 2007

|- style="text-align: center;" | style="border-top:solid 1px gray; "| Terminus | style="background:#; border-top:solid 1px gray; " |   | style="text-align: center; border-top:solid 1px gray; "|Preston and Wyre
Joint Railway

Lytham Branch Line | style="background:#;border-top:solid 1px gray; " |   | style="border-top:solid 1px gray; "|Moss Side |}


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.