World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Malamocco

Article Id: WHEBN0023438410
Reproduction Date:

Title: Malamocco  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Sandolo, Economic history of Venice, 742, Venice, 740s
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Malamocco

Santa Maria Assunta

Malamocco is one of the three narrow channels in the barrier island chain that separates the Venetian Lagoon with the Adriatic Sea, the other two being the Lido and Chioggia channels. The Malamocco Channel, with a depth of 14 meters, is dedicated to cargo ships making use of the Marghera commercial/industrial port facilitites of the Port of Venice.[1]

Malamocco also refers to a locality roughly three miles from the southern end of Lido Island and the Malamocco Channel. It is sometimes mis-identified as Metamaucum, though the latter town was located on a nearby island, and was submerged by rising sea levels.[2]

Malamocco has a parish church now devoted to Santa Maria Assunta but originally dedicated to Madonna della Marina "Our Lady of the Sea". The church, built in Veneto-Byzantine style in the 12th century.[3]

The church dates from the 12th century and is built in Veneto-Byzantine style. It underwent modifications in 1339 and 1557. The belltower has a peal of four bells in the chord of F major, cast in 1803. It can be found in Piazza Maggiore in the picturesque district of Malamocco on Lido. In Malamocco there is also the ponte (bridge) Borgo, the Palazzo Pretorio and a monument in hexagonal form with Pisani family’s coat of arms. The Pisani governed Malamocco around the middle of 1537.

The interior of the church is based on one nave and with that dates in part to the 12th century, with 14th and 15th century additions. The 15th-century Palazzo del Podestà is in Gothic style.

Theodatus, the second doge of Venice (742-755), moved the ducal seat from Eraclea to Malamocco, where it remained until 812, when it was moved to the Rialto after the exile of doge Obelerius, who returned with the support of Malamocco in 832, but was defeated and the district burnt. During the period of the Republic, Malamocco was one of nine districts of the Dogado. It was ruled by a podestà elected for a sixteen-month term.

References

  1. ^ Port of Venice website
  2. ^ A previous version of this article identified Metamaucum as an older name for Malamocco. Some authors do equate the two locations. For example, Life and Works of Saint Gregentios, Archbishop of Taphar. Albrecht Berger, 2006. Others (for example Handbook for Travelers in Northern Italy, John Murray, and Francis Palgrave, 1869) suggests that these were separate locations.
  3. ^ See: "Santa Maria Assunta, Malacocco.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.