World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Martin Nicholas Lohmuller

 

Martin Nicholas Lohmuller

Martin Nicholas Lohmuller
Titular Bishop of Ramsbiria
Church Roman Catholic Church
See Titular See of Ramsbiria
In office 1970 -
Predecessor None
Successor Current
Orders
Ordination June 3, 1944
Personal details
Born (1919-08-21) August 21, 1919 (age 94)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania United States
Previous post Auxiliary Bishop of Archdiocese of Philadelphia
Bishop
Styles of
Martin Lohmuller
Reference style The Most Reverend
Spoken style Your Excellency
Religious style Monsignor
Posthumous style not applicable

Martin Nicholas Lohmuller, DD, JCD (born August 21, 1919) is an American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church. He served as an auxiliary bishop of Philadelphia from 1970 to 1994.

Biography

Martin Lohmuller was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to Martin Nicholas and Mary Frances (née Doser) Lohmuller. He attended St. Henry School in North Philadelphia and graduated from Northeast Catholic High School in 1937, and studied at St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Overbrook, from where he obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1942. Lohmuller was ordained to the priesthood on June 30, 1944, and then taught at St. James Catholic High School for Boys until 1948.

He earned a doctorate in canon law from the Catholic University of America in 1947, and taught for a year at St. James High School in Chester. He was then transferred to the Diocese of Harrisburg, where Bishop George Leech needed a canon lawyer to reorganize his tribunal. He was elected vice president of the Canon Law Society of America in October 1954. He also served as the founding pastor of Our Lady of Good Counsel Church in Marysville (1954–1964), Vicar for Religious in the Harrisburg Diocese (1958–1970), and pastor of St. Catherine Laboure Church in Harrisburg (1964–1968). He also led the effort to establish Holy Spirit Hospital in Camp Hill, which opened in 1963.

On February 12, 1970, Lohmuller was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Philadelphia and Titular Bishop of Ramsbiria by Pope Paul VI. He received his episcopal consecration on the following April 2 from John Cardinal Krol, with Bishops Gerald McDevitt and John Graham serving as co-consecrators. He selected as his episcopal motto: "Love, Fidelity, Peace."

In addition to his role as auxiliary, he was vicar general of the Archdiocese, and pastor of both Old St. Mary's Parish and Holy Trinity Parish from 1976-1989.

After reaching the mandatory retirement age of 75, Lohmuller resigned as Auxiliary Bishop of Philadelphia on October 11, 1994. He has, however, retained his St. Cyril of Jerusalem Parish in Jamison.

External links

  • Catholic-Hierarchy
  • Philadelphia Archdiocese

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.